Brainstorming: Remote oil filter, thermostat, and cooler

DirtyErnie

Renaissance Hick
Reaction score
So, after a freeway run from Minneapolis to Fargo and back last summer, it got pretty obvious my bike needs an oil cooler. The overdrive 5th gear and 17/32 sprocket combo puts more load in the transmission, which puts more heat into the oil, which doesn't go anywhere at 70mph. Nasty traffic backups weren't helping much, either. My first tank of gas got me 47mpg, which is about right. My last tank of gas on that trip was down in the low 30's. That's no bueno. Shifting was notchy and all that 'my oil is dead' kind of stuff was happening.

SO, since I have to pull the thing down and do head/base gaskets, might as well pipe in an oil cooler. But, if we're going to pump the oil outside the engine, why not add a remote oil thermostat, and maybe a filter also?
So, priority: 1. Cooler 2. thermostat 3. filter.

Fairly certain I can mount a flat-pack style thermostat without it looking all kinds of horrible. One like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1060/overview/
could fit on the right side of the engine, below and in front of the cylinders, or maybe completely hidden in the front bracket with a cooler mounted below.

Let's call this 'Number One' configuration. Shouldn't be terrible to implement.

For 'Number Two' (Who does Number Two work for?) How about we add a remote spin-on oil filter?
I'm thinking this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13005/10002/-1
plus this: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/51712/10002/-1?parentProductId=1032937

with a spin-on below. but where to mount such a beast without it looking like a tumor?

I took a few pictures of one possible location, with an R-134 can as a stand-in.

Thoughts from the forum?

Attachments

• 20150617_231528.jpg
    20150617_231528.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20150617_231545.jpg
    20150617_231545.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 20150617_231554.jpg
    20150617_231554.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 125
Hey, DirtyErnie. Quite a project.

I spent the better part of the day pouring over the galleries at the Netherlands XS650 site:

Http://www.xs650.nl

Somewhere in the motor/mechanical gallery, there's a couple of oil cooler/filter setups similar to what you're proposing. Warning, there's hundreds of pics there...

One oil line is awful close to the exhasut pipe in the post 3692. Theory is sound. It's well done other than the location. An inch lower would be great.

This works:

cooler.jpg

cooler1.jpg

cooler3.jpg

cooler4.jpg

Once the oil gets hot, it stays hot, so no need for a thermostat unless you ride in the winter, which I used to do, and I just fabbed a plate to cover the cooler. Adding a spin on filter could strain the oil pump. As it is, the oil pressure goes to zero when idling on a hot day. There is not much back pressure with the roller and ball bearings in the crank, so flow is more important than pressure. Here it is idling with less than 3 pounds of pressure.

cockpit3.jpg

I connected a cooler and external filter on my 75, similar to the way Pamcopete did.
I mounted my cooler higher up and mounted the filter off the front mount.
I also hooked up a car temp gauge inline where the oil returns to the engine.
I did a 60 mile loop with just the temp gauge. Then did the same loop with just the oil filter. Then added the cooler on the next loop.
The oil filter dropped the oil temp about 5 degrees, adding the cooler drop it another 45 degrees.
This brought the cylinder and head temps down about the same amount. 45 to 50 degrees.
I thought about adding in a thermostat but the cost is kinda high. On cooler days I was just going to cover the cooler with a leather cover.
Here's some pics showing the cooler and filter.
For more info search this site for "oil coolers"
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_131460336.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_131460336.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 169
  • LostFile_JPG_131460320.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_131460320.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 165
  • LostFile_JPG_131460304.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_131460304.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 164
I just spent a LOT of time goofing with a remote oil cooler for the XS650. IMO the best way to attach lines is what PamcoPete has posted. As far as a cooler I couldn't find any already in production that would be a nice look and have the fittings on top to prevent bleed back.
I made a heat sink that fit between the frame that looked cool and offered similar numbers and whatever oil volume you'd like.
The only issue I see with installing a remote oil filter is the blow off pressure.

Oh, and the micron numbers really don't have an affect on oil pressure.

Mine is similar to petes line wise. But i used a remote filter setup from map cycles tjat takes a filter for a bsa rocket3. Dont need a cooler here. Clear lines are nice too.

Posted via Mobile

I have been thinking about this sort of send/return setup on the right side cover:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418

OR, thinking about the possibility of unplugging both of the factory bore holes and inserting a close-fitting pipe or tube inside of one of them to block off the passage from the oil pump bore hole to the oil filter bore hole. Then you could have both the oil 'send' and the oil 'return' fitting at the front of the case.

For some reason, I'm really hesitant to pass an oil line over the side of the motor to the oil filter cover. I have this recurring nightmare of laying the bike down and snapping the bugger off. Now, instead of picking up the bike and riding it home, you're picking up your bike and waiting for the cavalry.

I have the Heiden/MikesXS 2-1 exhaust, so any cooler will have to be mounted just below the front engine brace.... or a long skinny one up the left side frame tube and XSLeo's filter mount position.

The cleanest set-up I can think of is with the cooler centered and below the engine brace, a thermostat hidden inside the brace, and some sort of in-line oil filter vertically from where the oil comes out of the engine upwards to the top of the engine brace.

Could leave out the in-line filter and save that hassle. Thermostat and cooler seems like it may be the simplest route.

Mine is similar to petes line wise. But i used a remote filter setup from map cycles tjat takes a filter for a bsa rocket3. Dont need a cooler here. Clear lines are nice too.

Posted via Mobile

Do you have a link for that filter?

Thanks!

After reading the thread you linked about the way they modded the side cover for the oil return looked much cleaner than the way I had it, so I modded a cover as they did.
You can also drill a hole into the top of the side cover directly into the side of the oil filter cavity. Then weld in a tube from the cavity out to the side cover then thread this tube so you can install an elbow.
Either way it gets the lines coming in from the top ofd the cover not the side.
Leo

I have a right side cover and oil screen cover all ready set up for oil cooler looks like this (thats not my cover I just don't have a pic of it right now)

Attachments

• bike%20parts%203%20010.jpg
    bike%20parts%203%20010.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 131
  • tech3_3.jpg
    tech3_3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Back