Brand new HD springs and my clutch slipped worse!!

Mharrington

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The local shop I like to use sold me some Clutch Factory brand clutch springs for my 1980 XS650. They are 20% stronger than stock, made in the USA and were $16. I installed them and wow I had much more slippage. I even switched from my diesel oil to Valvoline cycle oil- same massive slippage. So I bought some EBC springs (they are under $11) Check out the pic. ON THE LEFT IS 6 CLUTCH FACTORY SPRINGS. ON THE RIGHT IS 6 EBC SPRINGS

The brand new Cutch Factory springs- part number KGS-025 were under 40mm in length. I put in the EBCs and no more slippage. I assume this manufacturer assumes the springs for the 1970-1979 650 is the same for the entire production era.??..

You've just discovered something, namely that all clutch springs are not created equal. Some are just no good, even when new. Here's a link where they discovered pretty much the same thing quite some time ago .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/ClutchSprings.html

650Central seems to be about the best source for clutch springs. He sells several different sets of various stiffness (from mild to wild) and all work.

I just installed all new clutch parts in my '78 . Got everything from XS Direct ( Mike's ) . Used the kevlar plates and the made in Japan performance springs , they are working very well . Not sure what was wrong with my clutch to start with , the PO had just installed all new stuff too, from the worm on . I just did the same. I should have compared the springs before they were installed . Everything looked right , it just wouldn't hook up.

The short springs above are also the same spring for many much more powerful Yamahas. I cant imagine the slippage those springs would give in my XS1100!
I do like Barnetts and in the future new springs are gonna get measured out of the package. It was nice not seeing the tach zing up without forward motion- lets me truly enjoy those 650 GOOD VIBRATIONS!

Yes, do measure and record the length of any new springs you install. That's the only way you'll be able to check them in the future and know if they've sacked. I have the MikesXS springs in mine at the moment and will be changing them soon. I measured them when new and then had the occasion to check them about 5K later. They had already sacked a bit over 2mm. I figured their days were numbered and now, another 7 or 8K later, their time has come.

I took them back and with the refunded money ordered a new throttle cable. There is a mom and pop shop here in Holland MI- Performance Motorsports that I use frequently for parts. Their prices are the same as when I order online- I do pay sales tax but no shipping so it evens out. When I restored a big GS1000 Suzuki they let me go thru their shim library for the 3 I needed and let me have them. They also offered to loan me their Suzuki shop manuals. Nice folks.

5twins- I really like Barnett but I may try the Ferodo springs from 650 central. Im 245lbs and Im sure the extra beef my 650 must lug around is straining whatever brand springs I use!

Back