Clutch grabbing?

nobackhair

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced w/ new Ferrodo disc w/ stiffer springs 14% increase, and new HD clutch cable from 650 Central. Used Diesel motor oil in case. It's not releasing gradually. Soon as it has any contact it grabs and makes full contact and lundges. So it's very jerky obviously. Makes a dull squeeling sound. Have it apart. But I can't see anything wrong or was anything loose. Yes I has the little dot matched up and my plates were flat. Both ball bearing are in. I can't imagine it being the oil. Maybe adjustment. I have it making connection about a 1/2" out on lever.It's fine after I'm moving thru gears No slippage no noise. There wasn't any debri in oil. I've gone thru the sequence of location of washers, etc. When one pulls lever all the way in it moves about 3/16 to a 1/4" at most and not all disc show any movemen't.

beat me to it 2M.

yeah, i was unable to arrive at a definitive conclusion other than very hot weather (FL and AZ) and long traffic lights are brutal on these motors and may have contaminated the 15-40 oil. must use basic grade 20-50. if your rings are going bad that may not work either... you should clean your disc pack before going to heavier oil.

an improved needle bearing may help, also be sure you partially straightened the steel cable guide that enters the left motor case. lotta drag there otherwise.

All I can add is lubing the cable and worm may help.
When you adjusted the clutch did you follow the repair manuals method? I have found that it works well. Just on the back off of the worm adjuster screw I back of a bit less than the speced 1/4 turn. I use the flats on the lock nut and back off one flat.
Leo

I thank you all for tour suggestions. we haven't had any heat yet but I'm going to do what was suggested w/ the higher grade oil. my cable was fine. And I like the idea if the less than 1/4 turn back for adjustment on cable. I did break everything down and checked all the washers for thickness when reassembling. Anyway alls well now. Have no idea what it could have been. Possibly that washer that doesn't fit tight on shaft slipped. I was very careful to tighten springs more evenly.I checked the plates with guage this time instead of eyeballing. I sure hope theres a good reson for using the stronger springs. Little bit tougher to pull them in.

The stock springs get weak over the years and let the clutch slip. New stronger springs prevent slipping.
Leo

Back