Broken oil dipstick - need dimensions

jmcadoo

...SO...
Reaction score
New guy - recently reintroduced to the XS650 world. I had a 75 XS650, back in 75. Recently bought an 80 that had been garaged for 20years. I am not a mechanic, so I followed advice from many on this site and got it running. I had forgotten how sweet sounding these bikes are!

My problem - The end of the dipstick is broken off. Instead of paying the $50 the local salvage yard wants, I believe I could easily crimp on a piece of copper tubing over the existing shaft, but I need to know where to put the minimum / maximum oil level marks. could someone tell me the length from the bottom of the dipstick threads to the minimum and maximum level marks?

Thank you,
Jeff

P.S. After I get it on the road, I plan on riding it stock for ayear or so, then change it to resemble this: http://www.xs650chopper.com/2010/04/gerrits-xs-addiction/#more-8125

Last edited:
$50! That's crazy! I you want, give me few bucks for shipping and I'll send you one.. otherwise, I can take some measurements when I get home.

I think he'll need to see the whole dipstick. Or know the measurement from the top and bottoms lines to the threads.

Wow! You guys are quick responders!

What I really need are the measurements from the bottom of the plastic threads (where the dipstick rests when checking oil level) to the min / max marks. (Mine is broken 8 3/16" from the bottom of the plastic threads. There is no flat part remaining.)

Jeff

Oops lol, didn't read carefully, here ya go. Camera distorts it a little but looks like its 10'' from the bottom of the dipstick to where it rests when screwed in. Off of a '79 btw.

Pandorasglocks,
From looking at your second photo, it looks like it is 8 1/4" from the bottom of the threads to the first mark on the flat part, and 8 15/16" to the second mark. Is that correct?

Jeff

Thank you all. If my copper tubing idea works, I will let you know. If it does not work, Travis, I will be taking you up on your offer.

Thanks again,
Jeff

:thumbsup: what a great thread! my dipstick is broken off too and i hope your idea works. it sure would be nice to know how much oil i do or don't need without having to look through that dumb sightglass.

It looks like the copper tubing thing should work.

1. Found a piece of old copper tubing that had been used to run water to an icemaker in a refigerator.
2. Straightened it out and slipped it over the dipstick metal shaft.
3. While it was on the shaft and slid as high as it would go (stopped by the tapered plastic), I measured ten inches (as in Pandorasglocks' photo) from where the plastic part rests on the outside of the engine, marked it, and cut it off at the ten inch mark.
4. Clamped the copper part between two wood blocks in a vise and flattened it onto the metal dipstick shaft.
5. Used wire stripper tool and further crimped the copper onto the shaft in several places.
6. Measured 8 1/4" and 8 15/16" FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PLASTIC THREADS and used the wire stripper to put crimp marks for the minimum and maximum oil levels.
7. Tried it in my motor, and ended up nipping of about 1/4" off the end of the copper, since it seemed to be bottoming out.

The copper seems to be very tight on the shaft, but I will moniter it frequently.

Just remembered something. I seem to recall reading somewhere about the factory recommendations for oil levels / quantity changing fairly early in XS production - maybe around 73-74??? The dimensions for earlier dipsticks might be different than the one from a 79 used in this thread.

Jeff

The change was on the 75. the new measurement is 5.5 inches from the plastic to the max level line. the minimum line 1 inch farther down. XS650's after engine number 103747 have the modified dipsticks.

What's with the broken dipsticks.. what the hell is happening there?
well, you know us guys... we go stickin our dipsticks in the wrong holes and who knows whats gonna happen next.:laugh::laugh:

Why did Yamaha make that oil hole that way? with the 'almost in there' hole next to the right hole? :shrug:

The change was on the 75. the new measurement is 5.5 inches from the plastic to the max level line. the minimum line 1 inch farther down. XS650's after engine number 103747 have the modified dipsticks.

Is the 5.5" from the end of the plastic cone or cap seat?

End of the cone.

Attachments

• xs650_dipstick.jpg
    xs650_dipstick.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 259
Would a pic help?
Leo

Attachments

• scan0001 (558x640).jpg
    scan0001 (558x640).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 326
It comes right out of the factory repair manual for the 74 to 77 bikes. There are a bunch of factory tech bulletins in the back that cover most of the changes they did in those years.
There is a bunch in the back of the 70-74 book I have.
If you go to yamaha-motors.com they list the tech bulletins on the parts fiches. Just go year by year through the bikes and scroll down the listings and you will find them.
Leo

Last edited:
Back