broken part in oil

jchrisk1

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
use

Does anyone recognize this piece. I found it stuck to a drain plug magnet. My bike was making a knocking/rattle before it locked up. It turns over now. I'm guessing the broken pieces made their way through. Lots of metal shavings.
Trying to find out if anyone knows where it came from.

Front or rear plug?
Often when stuck to the magnet the piece is made of steel. About the only steel part that comes loose inside a running engine is one of the dogs off a transmission gear.
Sometimes a misassembled engine can have most any small part get stuck on a magnet.
The gears have slots or dogs. The dogs engage slots in corresponding gears. This is how gears engage. The gear moves sideways, disengaging from one gear and engaging another.
Leo

Whoohoo! I finally got it. Thanks for the help brian.

It was on the rear plug. I know my first gear is bad and I suspected that one of the dogs broke off. But. I'm not sure what this piece is.
All of the magnets were full of shavings.

I can't get the picture, it just sends me to my photobucket account, if it is a dog off the gears then it will probably off the 5th gear as the dogs for 3rd locate on this, when you loose all 3, 3rd disappears, you don't normally loose the dogs on 1st, the edges wear on these and it starts jumping out of 1st.

Do you have your pic in your computer? If so, just below where you write is a Go Advanced button, this takes you to a place to do advanced things.
Now scroll down a bit, find the Manage Attachments button. Up pops a window with browse buttons. Click one, this takes you to the pics in your computer, select the pic, upload. Below the browse buttons is a list of pic formats and the max size for each. Resize your pics to the max size and the upload faster.
Leo

Thanks for posting that pic for me. It was becoming quite a source of frustration for me. One of these days i'll figure it out.

I found several of these pieces in my oil. I don't have any idea what they are. I've investigated as much as much as possible without taking the whole thing apart. I know that I need to in order to inspect it thoroughly, but I don't have the means at the moment. I'm hoping someone will recognize these pieces so that i'll have an idea where to start and how far i'll need to get into it.

It's late in the season and time to plan for a tear down.

I see a Winter Rebuild in my Crystal Ball.

Good luck.

Just to recap, I didn't do anything to my bike until this year. Tore the engine down, split the cases, and found it was a bad rod bearing. So, I found a good used crank and now have it all back together. Only waiting on new filters and a rotor puller and it will be back on the road.

Back