Brought her to work today!

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Well... I grew a pair and brought her to work today for the second time... last time was summer before last.

I wanted to have her spend more time at speed, so I brought her down Rts. 29, 100 and 295, which are all 2-lane (each side) highways with medians. She fired right up on the first hot kick this morning, and the run to work was pleasant and uneventful.

The one significant issue I think I'm faced with, though, is this oil weeping from the (as far as I can determine), left front side of the case seam. I had changed the main output shaft seal, which was making a real mess a few years ago (that seems to have sorted that issue... chain and rear wheel are free of oil these days), and I had also replaced the crank seal, which seemed fine the last time I checked it. But the weeping persists. Oil gradually accumulates in the bottom of the left case cover, and I have actually been catching the bulk of it via a bit of fuel line with a barb on it that dumps to a little breather filter (which I need to change).

Last night, I had the bike sitting in the drive under a cover, at a bit of a different angle than normal, on smoother pavement that readily shows oil, etc. Right after I started the bike this morning, I noticed a "linear" pattern of oil under the bike, longitudinally along the line of the left case bottom, where gravity would cause oil to pool over time. I never noticed this exact thing before, but I usually fire the bike out in the street, where it would not be readily noticeable because of the mottled pavement. I suspect that, after sitting, the residual oil is being vibrated or slung off the lowermost surfaces when the crank spools up. It's just weird.

The interesting thing is that there seems to be no mess on the left exhaust, chain, or left side of the rear wheel while, or after, riding, like there was before I changed the MOS seal.

I really wanted to get some fun miles on this bike this year. But I think this oil weep is something that I'm going to look in the eye at some point, possibly by finding someone locally who can help me with a rebuild for a fee.

One really gratifying thing from this morning is that a slightly older (than I) acquaintance here at work, who has had many, many bikes, has been wanting to see the TX in person... not just pics. He was just off his face when we walked down there and looked her over. For any issues she might still have, that was really gratifying, because Joe managed to find and compliment just about every single (visible) thing I have done to her in the last 4 years.

Hopefully, the ride home will be as nice as this morning's. Incidentally, when I just had a look at the bike with Joe, there is just one drop of oil off the sidestand tang... pretty normal for her. The whole thing is just odd... seems to defy rhyme or reason. :p

TC

Update - ride home from work:

Sorry for a bit of overkill, but documenting these increasingly "real world" outings could be helpful to me at some point.

Today was generally very successful and I'm mainly pleased. The bike, once again this afternoon, fired up on the first hot kick, came off the choke quickly, and let me set what seems to be her normal cold idle with about 3/4 turn of the speed screw. I back that off as she warms up.

You have to be decisive with shifting in lower gears - especially when cold, interestingly - but throttle response is immediate and excellent, she pulls hard, and cruises at speed (about 65 or so) without a hiccup. Hot idle is "cammy" but stable at about 11/1200rpm in gear. There was even some heavy traffic (82 degrees/sunny), and she did fine. Iridium plugs look a bit dark, but there's no oil on them and I've no wish for "aerated" pistons. So she can run a little rich for now.

After sitting all day at work, she left no significant oil on the pavement when I started her up... just a dribble or two from the sidestand. Same when I got her home... just a dribble after I shut her off. Odd, considering the capful or so in the driveway early this morning. Very curious.

I tried the decompression lever/electric start again, hot. Second time I have used it hot; she lights off so quickly that the starter barely has to turn the motor!

Before I put her away, I checked the oil after letting her sit for a few minutes. With the wheels on flat ground and the bike upright - I triple checked this - the oil level was still halfway between the marks with the stick just sitting on the threads. It would have been higher screwed in, but I wanted to see how much oil was in there with a hot motor having sat for a few minutes.

I'll check tomorrow and see where any oil might be on the bottom of the case cover, etc. The left side of the rear tire/wheel, left side of rear fender, and left can seem free of obvious oil mist, spray, etc.

But, no complaints about the bike's state of tune. I think I'm "there", or really, really close.

TC

I don't recall, but did you try the brake booster valve in the breather hose trick? Suppose to reduce oil leaks I guess.

Hi, Grinder...

Yes, I have a Mike's reed valve installed. Tomorrow, I'll change the little breather filter at the end of the hose... I'm sure it's full of mist/goop from this season and last.

TC

T Cat It sounds like you have all your problems solved one drip of oil normal. You have to put some miles on it to become one with the bike. By The Time you finish your fifth oil change And You can't wait to do 5 more should DOO :thumbsup: Keep us inforned of your adventure.:bike:

On a bit of seepage you might try cleaning the suspect area's and putting on a coat of gasket sealer. Like the Yamabond or simular. Once dry it should help the seepage.
I might ride it and keep an eye on the oil level. If you notice any drop on the dipstick beteen oil changes then maybe worry. I doubt you will.
As Scabber says, a bit of oil out of a 40 year old bike is normal. Shoot even some new bikes still have a drip or two.
As I recall the brit bikes of the era had drip pans under them new on the showroom floor.
Ride enjoy, ignore the drip.
Leo

Hi, John and Leo. :)

As I recall the brit bikes of the era had drip pans under them new on the showroom floor.

Seriously??!! Wow... I suppose that makes me feel a little better, but I never knew that!

I actually tried a bit of Yamabond on the spot(s) where I thought it might be coming from last time I had the rotor off.

It occurred to me this morning as I was cutting my grass that I have not changed the breather filter on the end of the Mike's reed valve that I had installed season before last. Duh. So it stands to reason that the breather apparatus might not be working optimally if that filter has reached critical mass with muck. So, I'm going out there now to change it. And I'm keeping an eye on the oil level.

What spooked me yesterday was the "linear" form of the spatter in the driveway after sitting there overnight and not having been ridden for about a week (but sitting in the shop on level floor). Then it never did it again all day, but I do have to wipe the left underframe off after riding a few times to keep things clean. I hate grime.

I also have a little hand transfer pump that I can use to suck accumulated oil from the bottom of the left cover if it pools over time. I'll see how she does after I change the breather filter.

TC

I have found on the brake check valves the oil mist can build up on the flapper in the valve and it can stick. I pop mine off every once in awhile to check for free action. Flow one way, none the other. If it acts a bit sticky I spray it out with carb cleaner.
With a filter on the end of your breather valve may prevent the grime build up.
I just have a long hose to below the engine on mine.
Leo

you worry alot....drive it....my clutch cover leaks on mine ever so slightly....and the bike performs flawlessly so i really could care less...i leave a towel under it in the shed. I fixed the major leak which was the sump plate....that was actually a bad leak.

it's not worth tearing a good running bike down to fix a small leak. Change your breather filter to makesure it's free.

my Ducati is a 2004 and the verticle cylinder valve cover gasket is leaking.

and yes, Brit bikes came with drip pans.

CD, you're another one who must have been talking to my wife... I'm the King of the Worriers, so yes, you're right! :p

Thanks for this, though. My major leak was the main output shaft seal, which I fixed successfully the first year I had the bike. That was indeed a messy one!

The next attention, I think, will be devoted to the front brake as soon as I get some time and a few bucks for braided line. Need to call Mike Morse on that one.

TC

Well, she's here at work again today. :) Two of my co-workers here - one a Harley rider - basically p*ssed themselves this morning looking at her. :) I got e-mails. :) Beautiful day for her, too.

And my newly tended to front brake doesn't rub when it's not supposed to, and does when it is. :)

TC

Nice day to ride. A buddy of mine lives off Jumpers Hole Road, so I ride 100 and 2 fairly regularly when I go visit. Not the most exciting roads, but better than 95. Getting love for your bike feels great and almost makes up for the busted knuckles and times you've had to push her home or onto a trailer.

Nice day to ride. A buddy of mine lives off Jumpers Hole Road, so I ride 100 and 2 fairly regularly when I go visit. Not the most exciting roads, but better than 95. Getting love for your bike feels great and almost makes up for the busted knuckles and times you've had to push her home or onto a trailer.

That's not too far from here, actually... I'm near the airport. So, you're buddy's just off Rt. 2, then. I shot down 100 and up 295 today because I want to have her spend some time at speed.

One of the two guys who saw her this morning was actually with me the day, four years ago this month, when I went to look at her as a possible project. So, he remembers that basically sound, but rusty, smelly, leaky "paperweight". Not any more. He was just dumbstruck, as this was the first time he has seen her since that day. It was good to get props from him, because he's a really good tech (automotive by training, but he also has an '81 Seca 550/4).

TC

Back