brushes/push rod

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been having charging problems with my 81 xs650, the headlight does not come on when the bikes turns on and when i rev the engine the voltage of the battery does not go up. So i checked the brushes and found that one is a lot shorter than the other. I am assuming this is my charging issue but honestly this whole area is completely new to me. I went through the trouble shooting guide as much as I could. The shorter brush seems to be around the length of 2/16 or 3/16. So my question is would the shorter brush cause the headlight not to come on? and also not allow the battery to increase the voltage when revving the engine?

Is there anywhere I can buy the brushes besides ordering them offline?

And my push rod has been leaking oil for some time now, is there anything i can do to slow or stop the leaking besides replacing the push rod?

Attachments

• IMAG0930 (1).jpg
    IMAG0930 (1).jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 178
Ebay or Mikes XS or 650Central is your friend for brushes. Occasionaly swapping the brushes,inner to the outer and vise-versa will extend the life of the brushes some by keeping them equal in wear. As for the leaking pushrod, you replace the seal, not the pushrod. Here and Mikes have instructions on how to do it.

check with the yamaha dealer's around town they may have them in stock ( not cheep if they do ) if not they can order them with there stock order (no shipping cost to you)
I got a set a few years ago I think they were about 30 bucks

Yamaha lists them as NLA (no longer available). But you might find a set on a dealers shelf.

The brushes carry electricity to and away from the rotor. The regulator controls this flow of electricity. When the battery voltage drops to below 14.5 volts the reg sends power through the rotor. This creates a strong magnetic field in the rotor. This magnetic field excites the stator to create electricity to charge the battery.
Your worn brush can't contact the slip ring on the rotor and this stops the flow of electricity through the rotor and it can't create the magnetic field which can't ex cite the stator so no charge.
Leo

Back