BS 34 carb mod starting point

wnc scout

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have 82 BS 34`s stock internals 132.5 main jet.
The engine is recent rering and 277 rephase. Pamco ignition with Green coils
Hughs PMA
Right now straight pipes (short) no baffles
Foam unifilters
Where should I start with changing jet sizes?
I dissassembled, cleaned, and replaced butterfly seals
Mixture screws about 2 1/2 out
I don`t have any provisions for vac sync.
I eyeballed them when they were on the bench.
Right now its a little flat on acceleration
Is mikes XS heiden tuning kit $48 a good idea not sure what jets it comes with
And the new needles and the drill bit
Has anybody done this and noticed improvement?

I suggest, before making mods to the carbs, (like Heiden) to get it running good with them using regular parts. Open pipes, pods require larger mains and pilots then what you have. That 132.5 is too small. My bike with pods and cut exhaust ran great with 145 mains, 45 pilots, 3 turns out, BUT no 2 bikes are the same. Elevevtion, compression, age, ect all have an effect on them.
It takes time, there is NO set recipe. Trial and error. Reading the plugs is a big part and you must have them synced. There are easy plans for making a manometer on here for about $5.00. And make sure the cam chain tensioner, valve lash, timing is correct before going to carbs, done in that order.
Did you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf ?

Last edited:
+5 on what littlebill said, read the carb guide until you see it in your dreams.
Leo

I finally got the bike up and running through all the gears.
Still stock internals in the carbs 132.5 main and 42.5 pilot.
Weak pull at top end.
I got some 137.5 main and 45 pilots.and haven`t put them in yet.
Am I wasting my time to try this or should I start with 142.5
I know there all different.Mixes xs suggests 142.5 - 147.5 range
The guide said 2 sizes up from stock ( 137.5)
The local supplier had to get some bigger ones in stock.
They are in today.
Were should I start?
Also swapped out the unifilter for K&N style pods

Last edited:
You're better off with the UNI filters. They work better on CV carbs than the K&N pleated style pod. As far as what size main to start with, that's pretty much up to you. All the suggestions given are just that, a suggested starting point. You will probably need to try a few sizes to get it exactly right. One of the 1st rules of jetting is that when you think you're right, try the size above and below what you have to make sure.

I would suggest getting 2 sizes in succession to start with. Get 137.5s and 140s or 140s and 142.5s. Trying both sizes will tell you which direction you need to move in (richer or leaner).

Each bike in it's own combo of intake, exhaust and state of engine as well as altitude makes each one a law unto itself.
Even if you and I used all the same parts the carb tuning might not match. So as 5twins said, we can suggest but your bike is the one that tells you if it's right.
Leo

Back