BS34

Reaction score
Hey guys, working on my 1981 XS650 Special, after 30 years I got her to fire but having some float problems, trying to take the floats off, is there a trick in getting them off, pins seem tight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 199
yes, thread shows the typical removal methods and why the pin is so hard to remove. I always use that modified mini c-clamp, it's a pain but those pin supports are fragile.

The important point is no matter what method you use, the back of the "tower" that has the head end of the pin MUST be supported during removal. otherwise you risk snapping off that fragile piece, game over for that carb.

You can even use a finish nail. file the point a bit. or grind down a bit of the end of a larger nail to match the pin diameter. once the pin has moved a "little bit" you can get a small wire cutters between the post and head and work the pin out. The pin only needs to be tapped out about 3/16" then it will push out easily. Again support the back of the post when driving!

yes, very carefully so you don't burr up the brass, a bit of wiggle twist shot of rust buster usually does it.

Back