buildin' me a tracker

Great video. How about another one from the other side. Great job! Now if I can only get that f****n swingarm off the bike, I could move along. How's the spousal unit doing?

More vids and pics coming. Gotta adjust the valves, check the timing and the cam chain tension. Still hard to start, and my right ankle's hurtin' this morning from the one kickback I got yesterday.

Momma's doin' great! Two weeks in and she's thrown the walker away and is using a cane. Walked down to the daughter's house yesterday ('bout a block) and back without any problems. She's not walked this well in over 8 months. In-home PT is about done and next week it's off to the outside PT clinic. She'll be back to work in a few weeks!!

I just discovered this thread, and have read it front to back!
First off, glad to hear that your wife is recovering well! Nothing worse than having a part of the team under the weather...
I have a similar project underway, and just down to the de-bugging (mostly fighting with the Keihin carbs it came with) part now, but hope to have it sorted shortly.
I was very interested to see how the half-mile pipes look on there, as I will be switching to those ASAP.
ParisProject.jpg

Thanks for all the great information, and motivation as well!

I just discovered this thread, and have read it front to back!
First off, glad to hear that your wife is recovering well! Nothing worse than having a part of the team under the weather...
I have a similar project underway, and just down to the de-bugging (mostly fighting with the Keihin carbs it came with) part now, but hope to have it sorted shortly.
I was very interested to see how the half-mile pipes look on there, as I will be switching to those ASAP.
ParisProject.jpg

Thanks for all the great information, and motivation as well!

Nice, and I spy several of the same parts I used on mine from Omar's.

Well spied! Mine is a 79 too, so these could be distant cousins :thumbsup:

I'm runnin' a 17 tooth front sprocket on mine, don't know what you're runnin', but it looks like you're runnin' the same rear. Mine seems like it's got an awful lot of top end, first gear goes on for days. How's yours?

I'm runnin' a 17 tooth front sprocket on mine, don't know what you're runnin', but it looks like you're runnin' the same rear. Mine seems like it's got an awful lot of top end, first gear goes on for days. How's yours?

You should be proud! It looks fantastic!
I wish I could answer your gearing question, but I haven't had the side cover off to see what the previous owner put on the front.
I haven't been able to run it much yet, so I can't really tell how it rolls out... Some day:wink2:

As you should be! Here's to a fantastic tracker:cheers::thumbsup:

Even if it isn't yellow with checkers...........................................................................:jk:

Last edited:
You should be proud! It looks fantastic!
I wish I could answer your gearing question, but I haven't had the side cover off to see what the previous owner put on the front.
I haven't been able to run it much yet, so I can't really tell how it rolls out... Some day:wink2:

As you should be! Here's to a fantastic tracker:cheers::thumbsup::jk:

Cheers Dave!:)

It's really cool to share it with y'all, and it wouldn't have happened without all the help I've recieved from this site!! Here's to you guys :cheers:

Unclesol, great looking machine and a nice job well done. Why are you going to 1/2 mile pipes? I was all set on using Omars mile pipes and you have me thinking. Gotta make a decision before I whack off some needed bracket. Any photos of the other side?

Got a coupla things done today. Re-checked the valves and cam chain tension, found out the timing was about 5-8 degrees advanced and that why it tried to brake my ankle. With all that done it starts on one kick warm, 1 or 2 kicks cold and the motor sounds noticably crisper than before the top endjob.

Gotta thank the following people for all the help that made this build possible:

Robert at Omar's: Great to do business with and I now consider him a good friend.
Hugh at Hugh's Hand Built: Beautiful work on the forks.
Mike at 650 Central: If you ever just need to talk (OK listen) call him:D.
A&A Racing: Great flat track folks-they've been doin' this a LOONG time.
Speed and Sport Yamaha: Tons of NOS stuff there-check 'em out.
Mike's XS: Thank god someone is doin' this.
My wonderful wife of 42+ years who NEVER had one bad word to say during this build!
My son-in-law Jeff Locke who's been my right hand thru this and is responsible for the paint and a whole lot more.
My long-time friend Eric Lunn whose RD400 Tracker put the needle in my arm and without whose help this would've been a LOT more diffucult.
My friend Bob Mullins who is "Moon Signs and Design" for the artwork.
Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA who fired me last November for not wanting to rip people off in the service drive (this actually was a GOOD thing).
And last but sure as hell not least THIS forum and the great people on here who were patient and helpful with a newbie who, at times, had no clue!

I know I've forgot one or two people but I'm sure they'll forgive me. It's been a long strange trip and the cool thing is it's just beginning! The rides and stories are just starting.

Merry Christmas to me and to all y'all!!

Last edited:
Got a coupla things done today. Re-checked the valves and cam chain tension, found out the timing was about 5-8 degrees advanced and that why it tried to brake my ankle. With all that done it starts on one kick warm, 1 or 2 kicks cold and the motor sounds noticably crisper than before the top endjob.

Gotta thank the following people for all the help that made this build possible:

Robert at Omar's: Great to do business with and I now consider him a good friend.
Hugh at Hugh's Hand Built: Beautiful work on the forks.
Mike at 650 Central: If you ever just need to talk (OK listen) call him:D.
A&A Racing: Great flat track folks-they've been doin' this a LOONG time.
Speed and Sport Yamaha: Tons of NOS stuff there-check 'em out.
Mike's XS: Thank god someone is doin' this.
My wonderful wife of 42+ years who NEVER had one bad word to say during this build!
My son-in-law Jeff Locke who's been my right hand thru this and is responsible for the paint and a whole lot more.
My long-time friend Eric Lunn whose RD400 Tracker put the needle in my arm and without whose help this would've been a LOT more diffucult.
My friend Bob Mullins who is "Moon Signs and Design" for the artwork.
Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA who fired me last November for not wanting to rip people off in the service drive (this actually was a GOOD thing).
And last but sure as hell not least THIS forum and the great people on here who were patient and helpful with a newbie who, at times, had no clue!

I know I've forgot one or two people but I'm sure they'll forgive me. It's been a long strange trip and the cool thing is it's just beginning! The rides and stories are just starting.

Merry Christmas to me and to all y'all!!

Dave,
I think I speak for a lot of the forum users when I say your bike is Beautiful and your build has given me and I should imagine others plenty of ideas.

I know over this side of the pond your British cousins have enjoyed your posts and admire your work(Not to mention your weather you jammie bugger:laugh:).

SO A BIG THANK YOU DAVE

Merry Christmas and a happy Hogmanay to every biker world wide.!!!!!!!!:D

Well done Sir!
This has been like watching a movie, and this is the credits rolling over top of the theme music!
A great build, and glad that you found the silver lining in the "career change". There's always another door opening somewhere ;-)

Unclesol, great looking machine and a nice job well done. Why are you going to 1/2 mile pipes? I was all set on using Omars mile pipes and you have me thinking. Gotta make a decision before I whack off some needed bracket. Any photos of the other side?

I don't want to hi-jack Dave's thread (especially at the crowning moment!), but I'll quickly say it is only a matter of personal preference, and that I fried my leg on the mile pipes.
After seeing the half-mile set-up on Dave's beautiful machine, my mind was made up...

pregrid, you have every reason to be proud! BTW, I've been writing service for 25+ years, the local 'Yota dealer and I came to a parting of the ways for the same reason you mentioned.

Back