buildin' me a tracker

Pregrid, Every time I look at your pics, I notice previously missed detail. Your footpegs do not look at all stock. What is the source? Also, is that Omars front plate/headlite unit. One more, if you dont mind. What do you side number plates bolt to? Cant figure that one from the photos. Thanks in advance.

Pregrid, Every time I look at your pics, I notice previously missed detail. Your footpegs do not look at all stock. What is the source? Also, is that Omars front plate/headlite unit. One more, if you dont mind. What do you side number plates bolt to? Cant figure that one from the photos. Thanks in advance.

I'm not givin' away ALL my secrets!!
.Nah, just kiddin'. I honestly don'y know what those pegs are from. Just went to the local cycle salvage and found a pair I liked.
That is Omar's front plate.
This is what I'm using on the number plates.......

clamp.jpg

There are some good reasons for living in CA. In Portland there was a terrific cycle salvage place. I drove 3 hours to find out the place is closed and all the inventory had been sold for scrap value! This place had a wall rack full of XS650 motors, not to mention Norton and Triumph motor and parts. Thats where I traded the 16'' wheel for my 19" front. With the new interest in cafe's, trackers and restoration this was a disaster. Once again thanks for your help. BTW where are some good salvage places in your area? Being retiarded, I got lots of time.

Put the longer (by 1") hammerheads on, gave me an additional 1" clearance between the license plate and tire.

short one.......

donejan2012020.jpg

long one.........

longshock.jpg

Pregrid,When I took this '78 special apart 5 years ago, I took pictures. Naturally they are lost. Here's the dumb question: Is the threaded tab low on the frame low on the right side for a screw to limit travel of the rear brake pedal? Congratulations on the Best 650, well deserved. BTW guess who has to weld back on the little hoochkie the rear brake pedal spring hooks onto? All that education seems useless now

Pregrid,When I took this '78 special apart 5 years ago, I took pictures. Naturally they are lost. Here's the dumb question: Is the threaded tab low on the frame low on the right side for a screw to limit travel of the rear brake pedal? Congratulations on the Best 650, well deserved. BTW guess who has to weld back on the little hoochkie the rear brake pedal spring hooks onto? All that education seems useless now

Gotta pic?

I,m gonna have to figure out how to attach a picture. I think I'm seeing it in your latest photo with the longer shocks (right side). It is just above and straight up from your upper exhaust. It is the little black thing just left of the spring

I,m gonna have to figure out how to attach a picture. I think I'm seeing it in your latest photo with the longer shocks (right side). It is just above and straight up from your upper exhaust. It is the little black thing just left of the spring

Lemme take a look in the morning.....................

If this is the tab, yes, it's to set the brake pedal at-rest position.....

brakespringbracket.jpg

I also cut off the brake return spring bracket. If your frame is not painted you can re-weld a bracket there. Mine was already powdercoated so I just drilled a hole, put in a nut sert, inserted a screw with jamb nut.

rearbrakespring003.jpg

Pre, Racerdave, Thank you both. Now it all makes sense and I can stop stressin. To take a picture and post it is way over the top. I owe you guys many beers. My frame is not yet powdercoated so the little MIG welder I got for Christmas is coming out of the box to fix the boo-boo.

New shit. I've always had a hard-on for velocity stacks since I was a kid. Growin' up in the 50's and 60's all the bad-ass race cars had stacks. My first hot rod had 'em......

29engine-1.jpg

During the January voting I got a chance to see C-Los SD's Cafe and realized I had to have 'em on my tracker. So.............

stacks002.jpg

Got 'em today. They come from Steel Dragon and they are beautiful! you can get them natural, semi-polished or fully polished. These are semi-polished and they look fantastic! As soon as I get finished with doin' the doggie door I'll put them on.:D Pics to follow.

Pre: Agree on the coolness of velocity stacks. I put some on the webers on my Alfa Romeo. Then began the carb tuning/jetting process.....

Back