buildin' me a tracker

Dave,

I don't want to hijack Pregrids thread as his bike (and all of the good info he provided) was one of the reasons I decided to build a tracker. PM me and we can work something out.

Jimmy

Hijack away, Jimmy. Don't bother me none. This thread would be dead if it were just about my bike. There's a lot of information here and more is always better. I also think it's better to have it all in one place, even if the place is getting bigger.:D

I think its easier to re-make the top motor mount to something like this than to section the tank, but thats just my opinion.

Jimmy

Wish I would have thought of this before I hacked my tank apart... Live and learn. BTW, the stock petcock will interfere, at least on my bike. Adding (2) 1/4" NPT half couplings back a bit farther for some Motion Pro petcocks.

Thanks for the permission, Dave.

The most critical part of that mount is the hole locations relative to the 'flats' that will be welded together. Everything else is just clearance. A little oversize probably wont hurt but you don't want the 2 mating (welded) surfaces so far off plane that you end up with a hole 1/4" bigger than the bolt to get everything to fit. Also, it works out better to tack everything together with a motor mounted in the frame.

Just throwing it out there. Maybe that will help.

Thanks for the petcock info also. It figures it would have to be changed too. I'd like to see your setup once its close.

Jimmy

Wish I would have thought of this before I hacked my tank apart... Live and learn. BTW, the stock petcock will interfere, at least on my bike. Adding (2) 1/4" NPT half couplings back a bit farther for some Motion Pro petcocks.

Metal crafter check your pm's.

SWL, my thought is to cut off the rear petcock nippel and weld it closed. Then have 2 bungs added further up. Again it's a aluminum tank, so I'd have to have all this done for me.

Pre, I know you didn't run the oem CV carb's to compare to, but can you comment on how the VM Miks work on your tracker? Any off idle flat spots, misses, etc. Midrange pull ?

Pre, I know you didn't run the oem CV carb's to compare to, but can you comment on how the VM Miks work on your tracker? Any off idle flat spots, misses, etc. Midrange pull ?

Set up as they came from MMM's they're flawless. 'course your ignition's gotta be up to snuff and carbs balanced properly................but it's starts on one or two kicks cold or hot, idles great, no flatspots, pulls evenly throughout the power range. I highly recommend them.
Dave

Pre, do you think your coil towers/wires would clear the top frame tube, if you turned that pipe clamp sideways, with the coil towers facing up if the horn mount and the ts flasher bracket were removed? I guess then also would the coil clear the tank tunnel side?

misctrackerpics010-1.jpg

Last edited:
If you used those same clamps and pointed the coil towers straight up the coil would be on the side of frame tube and parellel to it. Ifmoved forward it should clear the tank ears but prolly be more visable.

Maybe a guy could mount the clamps like you have them, use some type of L bracket on the clamps, then turn the coil on its side in the open space between the top tube and the lower tube?

Pre, do you think your coil towers/wires would clear the top frame tube, if you turned that pipe clamp sideways, with the coil towers facing up if the horn mount and the ts flasher bracket were removed? I guess then also would the coil clear the tank tunnel side?

misctrackerpics010-1.jpg

Pre, going back to your pic, your coil towers look slightly angled down to the right? Even doing that the coils towers won't clear the OEM Special tank, I'm still working with. How close are they to the Omars tank?

Here ya go, hope this helps. It'll be off til tomorrow so let me know if you need something different...........

tankbottom.jpg

Back