Building an XS1B and wondering if ...?

Ronnie_D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Guys:

I am a big fan of this site and read the news every day. Lots of fun. :cool:

I am building a 1971 xs1b and trying to collect parts to complete. I know of a 1972 xs2 for sale, rolling parts bike.
The front end is an xs1b and a beauty.
I am just wondering if the cylinder and head (top end mainly) would fit on my xs1b bottom end?

I want to keep the numbers matching on my restore.
l am building an xs1b like this one...
1.jpg

thanks for your input.
Ronnie_D
surviving winters grip...:geek:

I wouldn't pass on the parts bike. Use that engine while you rebuild the 71.
On your 71 I might consider swapping the internals for the later 447 engines, easier to find parts.
Leo

Rebuild your stock engine. I rebuilt my 1970 Xs1 with a 73' crank assembly. Early 1970 units used needle bearings for the upper piston pin.. failure was just a matter of time. Mine pack'd up a year after I purchased it. Your stock engine can be rebuilt and keep it stock.. original as possible. The time.. $$$$$ .. will be justified and you'll be a very proud Xs1b owner.

Rebuild your stock engine. I rebuilt my 1970 Xs1 with a 73' crank assembly. Early 1970 units used needle bearings for the upper piston pin.. failure was just a matter of time. Mine pack'd up a year after I purchased it. Your stock engine can be rebuilt and keep it stock.. original as possible. The time.. $$$$$ .. will be justified and you'll be a very proud Xs1b owner.

Thanks to all for the input.
I think I will collect and rebuild with the correct parts for my engine. Perhaps find a 73 crank and do that as well.
I will buy the XS2 because I need the XS1b front end on it.

..you shouldn't need the 73' crank on your 71'.. I was told.. that dur'n the production run of 1970 motors... the needle bearing issue was discovered and they went with a standard piston pin bushing with later Xs1 engines. On Xs1 engines... you will need to cut the cam chain.. the slot that the cam chain runs in has a web between the cylinders.... this web'n was also drop'd.. but I'm not sure when. Perhaps other smart'r folks can assist.

..can you provide better photos..of the wheel..both sides.... the legs look like there's a issue. .. the fender lugs are on the outside..?... are you sure it's a Xs2 unit.... with electric start.... the compression release on the LF valve cover...? or.. it's a 71' in 72' colors from a PO....

he says they are 72, 2 engines and frame. I am going on Tuesday to have a look. I am in Calgary and he is in Edmonton.
I hope it is a 71 but I don't think so.

2 other pix I have...

'3.JPG 4.JPG

I think he just plugged it together quickly to make a roller as he just finished his 71 build.

thank you 2m for the info. I think I will do a 71 parts restore on my 71 engine, keeping it factory stock.
I could run the 72 engine to ride her for now. :cheers:

Back