Bushyboy's build thread

yes I see what your saying, I think that's why the consensus is the kedos arre the shit, I don't believe you have to machine the rockers down for the kedos...
and again im just going with the armchair observation of the photo I have to look at, but it seems there is a gap or space between the elephants foot and the first thread where its machined down.. and there are no threads there, but the ones i was showing look to have threads right up to the head, and possibly BIG on the possibly have a shorter dimention from the flat spot of the ball to the back of the head, and so maybe less that 4mm of thread would need removed, ya know?

and again if I could get the kedos, I would go that route, and Ill probobly go with the porsce if I cant, just like your doing. but im a ways off, and at 25.00 for 8 of these i might just get a set , so I can see for myself where the number end up landing ,

just to be clear Im not arguing by any means, just bouncing ideas around, it was critmass for me today, got a box from mikes XS, gonna go post some photos on my build, Im gonna start at the begining of yours tonight and get the entire back story :geek:

Yes, you'll need to do some rocker grinding to use the elephant foot adjusters. I used to remove the rockers and grind the bottom edge on a grinding wheel, taking about 4mm off .....

d4GSTWu.jpg

I don't do it this way anymore. Now I use tapered stones in die grinders and just grind a bevel into the screw hole on the bottom .....

lwjU668.jpg

VeHZr9M.jpg

I feel this method has several advantages. First, you don't have to remove the rockers from the top cover, you can grind them while they're still in place. Just wrap it all up in rags to keep the grinding grit out. Second, you're not removing nearly as much material so the rocker won't be weakened as much.

Here's a rocker before grinding .....

msKWsAr.jpg

Basically, all you need to do is grind into it enough so the angled portion of the "foot" will fit up into it .....

199spm5.jpg

On my first couple installs, I didn't bother shortening the screws either. There's enough space under the valve covers for them to fit. But I do shorten them now .....

U5RVJ9u.jpg

@5twins i was thinking about just getting a 3/8” metal drill bit and drilling in 4mm. I still may use my dremel to chaffer the edge.

Attachments

• CCA752D8-977A-499A-BE4C-380CB163188C.jpeg
    CCA752D8-977A-499A-BE4C-380CB163188C.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 151
Yes, that might work, depending on how hard the rocker is. Try it and see. If it works, it may be easier and not as messy (dirty) as grinding them out.

Yes, that might work, depending on how hard the rocker is. Try it and see. If it works, it may be easier and not as messy (dirty) as grinding them out.
I will let you know if that works and thanks for the advice and pictures those will help me out too.

and again im just going with the armchair observation of the photo I have to look at, but it seems there is a gap or space between the elephants foot and the first thread where its machined down.. and there are no threads there, but the ones i was showing look to have threads right up to the head, and possibly BIG on the possibly have a shorter dimension from the flat spot of the ball to the back of the head, and so maybe less that 4mm of thread would need removed, ya know?

yes im quoting myself here, I have under closer examination relised there is not thread up to the back of the head on the ones I showed here, and i now do not think these will be appropriate for our uses, that being said I am still ordering 8 just to see for myself what's what.

I still want kedos:(

yes im quoting myself here, I have under closer examination relised there is not thread up to the back of the head on the ones I showed here, and i now do not think these will be appropriate for our uses, that being said I am still ordering 8 just to see for myself what's what.

I still want kedos:(

Yeah I wanted the KEDO’S but the seller has made me frustrated since I purchased them about a month ago and they haven’t shipped or answered emails. @TwoManyXS1Bs has run them in his for over 2 years and has done quite a bit of research on rocker adjusters if you search valve geometry.

ok took me last night and this mornin to read your entire thread,.. i love the build... everything looks great.

I have a couple questions,
1 do you know what clearance the machine shop ended up with from piston skirt to cly. wall??? I knowtices you said the piston makers said to do much tighter than factory 0.002. (and remeber the .002 is at 75mm and every inch larger requires a larger gap) I went with .0025 at 80mm

and also can you direct me to the front rotor , caliper and adaptor you did the front brake converstion, I was to do it times two on a front end I have

@5twins I just want to make sure I dremeled out these rockers correctly. So I wasn’t able to use drill bit unfortunately. If I understand you correctly then when the elephant foot is all the way seated the angled edge doesn’t show, but it doesn’t swivel either? I also figure the air intake rockers don’t seem to need to be as low as the exhaust side. Also you said you didn’t use to cut the screws so is there a reason beside a little less weight?

Attachments

• 3DA4D70A-63D3-467B-BA5A-A880D5192772.jpeg
    3DA4D70A-63D3-467B-BA5A-A880D5192772.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 8AAC6210-D07E-496F-8D0C-A7C6028BB468.jpeg
    8AAC6210-D07E-496F-8D0C-A7C6028BB468.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 142
Its clearly not necessary, but would it have been easier to remove the rocker? It's not that much work to remove them.
I would have removed the rockers if I was going to just grind it flat, but I feel the taper may be better since you cut off less material.

I measure the Porsche adjusters and got them as close to the height of the stock adjust as I could and they both had a swivel on the side I finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 161
look really good bushyeyed1 ,i got some more parts for my build today, just waiting for the machine shop to call with my cly. I installed my 5th well ..I don't want to highjack, it will all be in my thread. I really like the look of the rocker arm when it is NOT ground flat, still looks like it has a lot of strength, I would asume its more important when using stiffer valve springs, speaking of that, did you buy that "shell"cam and what springs are you going to use?

look really good bushyeyed1 ,i got some more parts for my build today, just waiting for the machine shop to call with my cly. I installed my 5th well ..I don't want to highjack, it will all be in my thread. I really like the look of the rocker arm when it is NOT ground flat, still looks like it has a lot of strength, I would asume its more important when using stiffer valve springs, speaking of that, did you buy that "shell"cam and what springs are you going to use?
I am sure the stronger the rocker the better. I did buy the shell cam off a guy who did a 270 degree setup. I have the Kibblewhite springs installed I bought them off eBay from hoosracing. Hoosracing also does the shell regrind. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283749623756

did the kibble springs come with "spring tops" and keepers? or shims? did you set the "installed height"?
just asking cuz ill be there in a week or so lol

Oh i see they come with "base washers"

he raised the price from 95.00 to 125.00 on the springs, ERG!
he only has 4 listings now, no cams for sale

has anyone seen these, this guy is right here in portland, I had him make me oversized valves for my moms Doge dart with a slant six, I ported and polished the head put better spings and cam in it and these guys made me BIG valves, they weren't 700 bucks thou lol

these ar titanim valves for xs650, if any one is interested (to rich for my blood) I kinda know the guys, good old shop boys, and I could probly get a deal being local buy myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS6...299197?hash=item3653fca0fd:g:0LwAAOSwMspddzc~

OH and I keep forgetting busyeyes1 , who was the suplier of the kedos, that has not sent or returned you emails, Im trying to contact the place I found online and I want to know if its the same GOY

Back