Buying Cables Locally

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I don't have the speedo/tach cables that came with the bike and looking to go shopping locally for some. tired of buying online and need them before this weekend. Any advice on where to go, things to look out for and most importantly . . . lengths and connector types?

Thanks!

well the reason you have to buy online is most dealers don't really plan on stocking parts for 30 some years before selling them, something about quick turnover and profit I guess

true. didn't know if there were any compatibilities or "generic" cables that fit most years or models. kind of like brake line . . .

www.flanderscables.com has all the parts to build tach and speedo cables. They are online, so it won't be quick.
On the speedo, go to Wally World, in the bicycle stuff get a speedo. cost around $10. It may take a bit of work getting the magnet mounted. I used one to make sure mine was right.

I found a guy who makes throttle cables locally. He was able to cut the harness on my stock cable (that I got from mikes) about a 1/2" to make room for the play I needed.

Thanks for the help!

Back