Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

Did Yamaha have prescribed method for chaining
The security chain first appeared on the 1981 models. My '83 also has one. The little box is exposed on the SH. It's behind the lower side cover on the SJ & SK.
Did Yamaha have prescribed method for chaining up the bike?

Did Yamaha have prescribed method for chaining

Did Yamaha have prescribed method for chaining up the bike?
Not that I recall. In all the years I’ve had the bike, I remember using that chain just once. I believe strong hands and stout wire cutters will defeat it. It is passed through a loop welded to the frame that is nearly identical to that loop the tach cable passes through.

Last edited:
Like Rustie says, the On position is Off with the engine shut down... no vacuum. But it does point out a problem, one or both of your float valves are leaking/weeping. Pull the dipstick and see if you smell fuel in the crankcase. There's some disagreement here on where the fuel goes on the BS34's. I contend it just runs out the back of the carbs. Some believe that (like the 38's) it'll also run down into the cylinders, past the rings and into the crankcase. Best to find out if there's fuel in there before go any distance on it.

A made the mistake of leaving the pet-cock on reserve (Kawasaki tank), It flooded my BS34's and filled the cylinders & crank case. Next morning thin fuel/oil puddle below bike. Leaked out of the crankcase seal on the LH Side (Bike on side stand). Did a full flush, seals, filter & oil service to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Not that I recall. In all the years I’ve had the bike, I remember using that chain just once. I believe strong hands and stout wire cutters will defeat it. It is passed through a loop welded to the frame that is nearly identical to that loop the tach cable passes through.

I agree with Marty. Nice to have, but you wouldn't risk your bike security to it.

I believe strong hands and stout wire cutters will defeat it.
I agree with Marty. Nice to have, but you wouldn't risk your bike security to it.
I agree that its not the most secure, but when coupled with the fork lock it adds another obstacle to would be thieves. Especially when someone has to store their bike outside. Most thieves are opportunistic and and easily dissuaded, if someone is bound and determined to steal your bike they will steal it but this only accounts for a small percentage of thefts. And being keyed the same as the bike it's less of an inconvenience to the owner.

I agree that its not the most secure, but when coupled with the fork lock it adds another obstacle to would be thieves. Especially when someone has to store their bike outside. Most thieves are opportunistic and and easily dissuaded, if someone is bound and determined to steal your bike they will steal it but this only accounts for a small percentage of thefts. And being keyed the same as the bike it's less of an inconvenience to the owner.
Agreed. It's even better if the bike is covered and the cover secured with a padlock. I believe an XS650 can only be a target of opportunity rather than a sought after target. If the opportunity isn't there, it's not likely to be bothered.

Last edited:
it is the only pristine feature on the bike.
You'll be surprised how pristine that thing is after a liberal application of...
1440_f.jpg

You'll be surprised how pristine that thing is after a liberal application of...
1440_f.jpg
Agreed, that thing is clean. I think it'll shine right up! I second the silicone hard surface prep. Makes a huge difference, for those of us that are a bit more thrifty good ole WD40 works pretty well too. The WD40 w Silicone works outstanding as a water repellant/lubricant/ surface conditioner.

My go to clean up stuff is S100, Maguire's Detail Wipes, and Turtle Wax quick detailer & chrome polish, and triple 0 steel wool. Turned this barn turd into a shiny diamond.
View attachment 200547 View attachment 200548 View attachment 200549 View attachment 200550 View attachment 200551 View attachment 200552
tic-t590123re_xl.jpg
I found a good price on eBay for this. I'll continue to use it as I'm happy with the results. Silkolene gets positive reviews, but does not appear to be available in the US.

Last edited:
How often do you apply it?
I apply it after a thorough wash. In between, it allows me to wipe the grease off the rear wheel with a rag. It also makes for very easy bug removal with detailer spray and a soft rag. I spray places susceptible to that and also places hard to reach, like under the seat. My bike very rarely sits outdoors, so corrosion hasn't been an issue with the notable exception of the original chrome wheels. That corrosion was induced by me and my wash bucket. They look great, but the spokes are frozen.

My bike very rarely sits outdoors, so corrosion hasn't been an issue with the notable exception of the original chrome wheels. That corrosion was induced by me and my wash bucket. They look great, but the spokes are frozen.
Same here...:unsure: I was thinking I might get some new tires this winter and rectify that with a bottle of Kroil while I had the tires off.

Same here...:unsure: I was thinking I might get some new tires this winter and rectify that with a bottle of Kroil while I had the tires off.
I recently acquired a 2nd set of Heritage Special wheels. My original wheels are in need of derusting on the underside of the rims. I may get around to doing that and relacing with stainless spokes. Meanwhile, I quite like the tubeless XS650SH cast wheels. They're not as pretty, but more sensible.

Back