CA registration question

awoz87

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so i have an 83 xs650 currently titled in CA, it has not been registered for a while, but its still in the CA dmv system. i bought it for a few hundred bucks and came to find out itll cost me $550 to get it registered. that obviously sucks, so i have been trying to think of a way around it.

here is my idea, im wondering if i were to sell the bike to a friend in another state, lets say new york, and he got it titled there and then sold it back to someone in CA would CA go back and find all those unpaid registration fees or would the slate be wiped clean??

feel free to throw in any ideas you may have.

Is the $550 back taxes? Who said you'd have to pay them? Everywhere I've heard of taxes are the responsibility of the person who owned the vehicle at the time the taxes were due. They will make him pay them when he tries to renew his registration for another vehicle.

Last edited:
You did not own the bike when the taxes were due. It's probably unconstitutional even to make you pay them.

Well................I think someone at the DMV is giving you a line of shit. If that's where your info came from. Similar situation on my '79 first of this year. Hadn't been registered since '95. Filled out a form stating the specifics, paid $90.00. Still have to get to the CHP to have the VIN verified but the gal at the DMV said that was it. I'd try another DMV.

Looks bad if you don't go out of state.
From the CA DMV
" BUYER BEWARE!

If you purchase a vehicle, you will be responsible for past due fees and penalties when you transfer the title into your name, unless:

• Registration is current.
  • A planned non-operational status is on file with the DMV. Fees must be paid before operation to avoid penalties."
Sorry but Nevada didn't look good either when I quick checked it.

Back