Cactus flowers seen on my morning walk

View attachment 163978
Two years ago I visited TooManyXS1Bs and took two small pincushion cacti from his property. Yesterday they bloomed.

View attachment 163979
I have identified these as either Fitch's Hedgehog Cactus or Fitch's Rainbow Cactus. The one on the left I dug up. The one on the right was a pad that I pulled off of a branching specimen. They are about the size of a baseball.
The one on the right also bloomed last year, but the blossom stalks quickly fell off after blooming, and I didn't get any fruits.

View attachment 163982
This is just a couple of hours after the first pictures. The blossoms are already pretty degraded, and are chock full of scarab beetles, specifically Euphoria kerni. I have never seen this insect before.

Took a look this morning, and I think that some of the flowers successfully pollinated. Maybe they can't self-pollinate, but need another specimen to do their thing. Hoping to get some fruits this time.
Fruits?

Yep, that's what they're called, and they are literally fruits. All cacti fruit are edible, but some taste better than others. I'm not interested in eating mine if I get any, I'm interested in the seeds.
Are the fruit like a berry ?

opuntia-engelmannii-Gregoriana-ElPaso-9-9-05-2bb.jpg.webp.jpg

Prickly pear fruits. A berry is a fruit, but I don't really know why a berry is a berry. Fruits contain seeds.

Excellent!
You were right, that detached pad *did* take root.

You are hereby awarded,

Order of the Thorny Thumb...
View attachment 164015
I have lots of different cacti, in the ground and in containers, and my fingers often look like that.

Yes, the flower turns into a fruit if it has been successfully fertilized or pollinated.
By the way, those prickly pear fruits in my picture are very edible, although I don't know how to prepare them, and I've never eaten one. My grocery store even sells them when they are in season.

I have lots of different cacti, in the ground and in containers, and my fingers often look like that.

Yes, the flower turns into a fruit if it has been successfully fertilized or pollinated.
By the way, those prickly pear fruits in my picture are very edible, although I don't know how to prepare them, and I've never eaten one. My grocery store even sells them when they are in season.
You learn something everyday Cool Thanks

When I was a kid once, this friend of mine told me how tasty these things were. We picked a bunch of them from someone’s front yard and we ate them and the fruit is delicious. We had this slow motion realization that our mouths and throats felt like pincushions. We had hundreds of these things stuck inside our mouths with no way to remove them, it took weeks for them to go away and it was very painful. We didn’t know, we ate them like they were apples.

8A98CABB-241E-405B-9523-764ED82048A0.jpeg
DF5AAA84-BF5A-4B5B-AF66-30647033735F.jpeg

https://www.thespruceeats.com/prickly-pear-cactus-fruit-2343047

When I was a kid once, this friend of mine told me how tasty these things were. We picked a bunch of them from someone’s front yard and we ate them and the fruit is delicious. We had this slow motion realization that our mouths and throats felt like pincushions. We had hundreds of these things stuck inside our mouths with no way to remove them, it took weeks for them to go away and it was very painful. We didn’t know, we ate them like they were apples.

View attachment 164018 View attachment 164019

https://www.thespruceeats.com/prickly-pear-cactus-fruit-2343047
Lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.
Pretty rough entrance how was the exit?:woowoo:
:laughing:

Lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten.
Pretty rough entrance how was the exit?:woowoo:
When I was in Idaho we had this drink at the NCO club that was called a "Prairie Fire." Was made from 1 shot of tobasco sauce and 1 shot of tequila. Burned like the dickens going down. The next day.... :yikes::yikes:

When I was in Idaho we had this drink at the NCO club that was called a "Prairie Fire." Was made from 1 shot of tobasco sauce and 1 shot of tequila. Burned like the dickens going down. The next day.... :yikes::yikes:
I remember a drink something like that except we chased it with a spoonful of Ice Cream.
Next morning you were saying " come on Ice Cream"

Back