Urban Coyotes

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The community I just moved in to is very different from anywhere I’ve ever lived. I’ve always lived in neighborhoods where people’s yards were defined by fences. Coyotes , when you saw one, were always on the outskirts , near open fields and farmland. But the community I live now has, by design, no fences.
Everyone has mature desert landscaping and the wildlife is everywhere, rabbits and quail, ducks ( and apparently kangaroo rats) a plenty. In other words, a target rich environment for coyotes, with lots of trees, shrubs and brush for cover.
B77621C9-F38E-4539-B450-3A2CE4A8FF4C.jpeg

I actually enjoy seeing them trot through my yard. The hard part for us is walking our little dog, which we do morning and night. All the neighbors have a story about somebody in the community who had a dog killed by coyotes. They aren’t interested in them for food, they just want to kill them, maybe some sort of territorial thing. Just tonight my wife and I were walking our dog and came face to face with one, it just turned and went off in a different direction. I carry a can of pepper spray just in case one decides to get aggressive.
I ran into three of them coming down the street together a couple weeks ago.
But the most unsettling encounter was about a week ago. I had a habit of taking the dog out for a very short walk about 10:00 at night for one last chance to go before closing up for the night, and I caught a shadow moving about 40 yards away on the other side of the street. I’ve got an absolute flame thrower of a flashlight that is super bright with a long reach. I lit that coyote up and expected it to run away. Now , this flashlight is absolutely blinding when shined in your eyes, and that coyote , instead of running away, ran right towards me. It veered off at the last second and sprinted between two houses. Yikes! :yikes:

The dog no longer gets a late night walk!
And oh yeah.....it appears we get the occasional javalina passing through as well.

Seen and heard many a coyote on and off the flightline at D-M. Seen a few close when I was using the walking path for exercise by the golf course.

Last edited:
Seen and heard many a coyote on and off the flightline at D-M. Seen a few closely when I was using the walking path for exercise by the golf course.

They seem to like to travel along the golf courses. The grass is easy on the paws, fresh water to drink and the ponds are full of ducks and all the grass attracts rabbits. Coyote nirvana.

Had a a little wildlife in my yard ( a block away) a couple weeks ago. Eight foot Fence in the background, I just spent the afternoon setting up by bird feeders
for early morning viewing while on our 650 site.

upload_2018-12-2_5-56-42.png

upload_2018-12-2_6-0-7.png

I am done with this for now , moving on to the next project.

… while stationed in Ethiopia , I had several runs in with the Coyote's counterpart.. Hyena …. nasty beast. I rode in front of the car (66' Chevy) on my 450 Ducati Jupiter... as we pass'd through villages at night... each grass hut.. yup, grass.. had a ring of thorny bushes around them... as we traveled I could make out flashes of their eyes reflecting from the vehicle headlights... the yelp they made was chilling. I noticed the car had stop'd.. I park'd the duck.. and discovered a flat tire on the Chevelle..... my buddies in the car started to look for the jack... they noticed I got in the car and sat down... " why " they ask'd… I repied… " hyena's.. "... we spent the night in the car.

Hyenas! Oooh man! Any animal that is willing to attack a lion is an animal I’d avoid at all cost! I’d spend the night in the car too!

This morn'n on my AOL news.. there's a report..photo of a 2 foot tall squirrel... Real.. photo shop'd.. I don't know.. is there a nuclear plant near by.. ?
Here.. most of our courtyard critters head south.. except the bunny's.

… down there don't you have " roos " running around the countryside ? Here.... and many areas of the states, it's Bambi. Thousands of Bambi related accidents. A couplie years ago I lost a friend.. he was on his 850 Goose... back roads over in Wisconsin... go'n along at maybe 30 mph when a deer humped out of the bushes and he caught it in mid flight with his upper body. I'v had a couple " OMG " moments with them.

Have never seen the coyotes around here but pretty often hear them in the woods at night. A couple years ago I was taking our Greyhound "Stretch" out for his last call around ten pm. Now he seldom barked or made any noise but this one night while I was waiting for him to do what needed doing the coyotes started their song and sounded a little close for my comfort. Well Stretch filled those big Greyhound lungs and let out one big WOOF! Just like that the night went silent! Guess the coyotes decided that anything that loud was not something they were willing to mess with! Sure miss that guy!

Not sure what "Chad" our current Greyhound will do if they come close, when you hear them off in the distance he does perk up his ears an look their way. Chad is much younger than Stretch was so time will tell!

… down there don't you have " roos " running around the countryside ? Here.... and many areas of the states, it's Bambi. Thousands of Bambi related accidents. A couplie years ago I lost a friend.. he was on his 850 Goose... back roads over in Wisconsin... go'n along at maybe 30 mph when a deer humped out of the bushes and he caught it in mid flight with his upper body. I'v had a couple " OMG " moments with them.

Yea Roos are a big problem.

Poor Koala's are on the endangered list.............urban sprawl wiping out their habitat and leaving clumps of trees where they live but they have to travel across ground/roads to get to other clumps of trees for food and diversity and they aern't tort to use pedestrian crossing's

Back