Urban Coyotes

… down there don't you have " roos " running around the countryside ?

Yeah, we sure do mm, I hit one just up the road from our place one afternoon a few years ago, I was riding a 1000 VStrom at the time and I went straight over the top of him. I thought I was going down but I kept it upright, my mate riding just behind me couldn't believe it when I pulled up, scared the hell out of me though.

@Mailman a .22 pistol works better than pepper spray and has a longer lasting effect. And, I need 2-3 coyote pelts for my overcoat.

@Scripto VU and @Downeaster, here is the National Capitol Region, 1-2 bears are hit by cars each year. Usually from Loudon County, VA west and north. When I lived in Colorado, the woman leading the women's section of a mountain bike race hit a bear crossing the road somewhere around Golden; ruined her front wheel and her shorts I'm sure.

@motormike, While visiting Al Asad Air Base in Iraq, a small group of Jackals attacked a Marine coming back from MidRats on the south side of the base. He had his M-16 and fired off a few rounds killing one of them. He ended up with a few stitches and a series of shots. Like a Boy Scout, always be prepared...
And that Bambi warning is no joke brother. One of them tried to kill me on my FZ-1 on a wooded curvy off ramp here in Northern Virginia. Evil critters they are, but tasty.

@Meddy You're not of those folks down there that will sucker us northern hemisphere folks into thinking those drop bears are sweet and harmless are you?

@Meddy You're not of those folks down there that will sucker us northern hemisphere folks into thinking those drop bears are sweet and harmless are you?

No way boog, I'm not the type to have a bit of fun at tourists expense.:whistle:
dropbear.jpg

They're thick round here, Yoties not Koalas. Road kill deer round the corner, first day was a vulture feast cept a young eagle got first dibs, next day the Yoties had drug it out in the field away from the road. Crows were working the blood n gore left road side. Third day; just a few bones left. There's serious Yotie hunters in our area they have some impressive kill numbers.
yotie+commission+sharing.png

Wolves, bobcat, cougar, and bear are starting to give them competition.

Living in metro Nashville you'd think coyotes wouldn't be a concern, and for the most part they are too common to be a concern. It's the random mountain lion spottings just outside town that get peoples attention. Growing up right across the Ohio River from West Virginia all that stuff was a concern though whether it be coyote, bear, or mountain lion. People in Nashville thought it was crazy for keeping a pistol on me at all times and traveling with a rifle, but it just makes sense living in the hills.

I have been meaning to ask - what is a javalina?

Pete

It is a peccary , a medium sized wild pig. They can be solitary creatures or run in large herds.

3789B8CA-EF08-4BBF-A0D7-194A4C697B41.jpeg
6570B1F2-E3AB-48A4-B9E5-AAA290F733F0.jpeg

They are a pretty rare sighting inside city limits, they are usually found in open desert and desert mountains.
They don’t see well , which sometimes leads to some very close encounters with humans. They normally avoid encounters , but if you accidentally run into one and it feels cornered they can rip you pretty good with those tusks.

I heard from a neighbor the other day that they saw one running down our street. We live very close to open desert.
Not sure how they would react to our dog.

Yikes!! I'd hate to encounter one of those little buggers in the dark.

Coupla years ago, about 3:00 am, I hear loud banging outside.

Grab my Desert Eagle in .44 mag,
44DE-500SW2.jpg

and scamper out there in the dark, still in my underwear.

Saunter up to the front of my barn, and I can just make out a large, dark creature trying to tear up the metal bird feed barrel, knocking it around like a kid playing kick-the-can.

Oh, crap, a 300lb wild hog.

Dark, not much light, I try to aim, but there's a 3-9x scope on my pistol, and I can't see a doggone thing. It's only about 20 yards away, so figured I could try to guesstimate sight down the side of the barrel.

*Blammo*

Heard a loud squeal, followed by what sounded like a truck crashing thru the woods. Next morning had a neighbor and his dog track the thing, figured on finding a carcass out there. But, no. Tracked for about 3/8 mile and lost the trail.

Wild hogs are a problem out here, but they've only recently discovered my place. Now I'm finding rooted-up holes everywhere. Did get one of the little ones last year.

20170228_WildPig.jpg

About 40 lbs. After a few more skirmishes, I think they're gone. Haven't had any problems for almost a year now...

Vickie and I went to Natural Bridge Park near Payson AZ and saw a herd, group or whatever a group of a dozen is called of those piggies are called.

Vickie and I went to Natural Bridge Park near Payson AZ and saw a herd, group or whatever a group of a dozen is called of those piggies are called.
yupper Natural bridge 2016
20160318_091758.jpg

Ran into one in the brush at Hueco Tanks State park, Texas. We all quickly left the area (in different directions). A favorite snack is tied up dogs.

Five minutes ago in my backyard. We see them several times a week. And the glimpses are always fleeting, if you aren’t looking out the window at the exact moment they pass you’d miss them. Who knows how many there really are or how often they are on the property. I see their scat everywhere. They have a nasty habit of crapping in the street, sidewalks and driveways.
DCF72194-57B3-4475-9563-93917502D83A.jpeg
23027DAC-B627-4480-BB04-078D60E1E087.jpeg
636A6F80-6593-427B-8A56-1BB29DE579BE.jpeg

Back