"Cafe", the word has gotten out.

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I've been noticing recently that lots of bikes for sale say "cafe" in the title or somewhere in the description. Seems to be a selling point I guess. I'm not knocking them, I'm not complaining, just my thoughts on the ads I've been seeing. I love the cafe bikes, but it appears to be one of those descriptions that is being tossed around a little too loosely. Remember the Trans-Am....that never raced in the Trans-Am series. It was just a name to sell a car.
Now it appears that every older, standard is a "Cafe" waiting to shed it's stock attire and breath deeply as it thumps around the twisties. I'm actually ammused at some ideas of "cafe".
I saw this one on Craigslist today. Check out the custom rear suspension.
cm400.jpg
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/2792127058.html

im waiting for cafe's to really take off, then i will be able to launch my range of custom weld on softail conversions. Also coming soon will be a detassler (big enough for the toughest tassles), and a ape reductor, with custom short cables and hoses. What do ya reckon, i'll make a packet or what? cheers

Posted via Mobile

I def agree about "cafe" being tossed around. I remember seeing a few years ago when the rat rod scene blew up a lot of the cars and trucks for sale on ebay that were 1980 or older being labeled as a rat rod. My favorite was the well built hot rods painted flat black listed for $20,000 labeled as a rat rod

seat latch problem? :laugh:

When I was little I raced indoor flat track. Just for fun on 60/80cc. We used a racket strap to compress the rearend on my KX60 and 80, lol. It worked though.

im waiting for cafe's to really take off, then i will be able to launch my range of custom weld on softail conversions. Also coming soon will be a detassler (big enough for the toughest tassles), and a ape reductor, with custom short cables and hoses. What do ya reckon, i'll make a packet or what? cheers

Posted via Mobile

I'm designing head pipe extensions with a system of baffles in them too.

I was just talking about this at work today, I'm a mechanic at the Harley dealer in town and we got the new drag specialties catalog today, opened it up an there is 2 pages of clip ons for Harley's now too

its the new money!
lol. yeah, that sums it up nicely :)

I like 'em though , takes me back to my days building & riding Tritons..:bike:
Im on Facebook & 'friended ' to dozens of 'old-school' bikers around the world ,theres pics of bikes being posted every few minutes & these days 99% are caf' racers & 'lane-splitters' consisting of converted old japs - XS650's, early CB750's SR500's & Harleys nowadays.
Much better looking than the ubiquitous 'street/flat-tracker' - boring, and samey...

My uncle studied British bike mechanics at Hinkley back in the late '60's. He lived there for 3 years and still has several cafe bikes he and his pals built during that time. He has some cools stories.

I've been noticing recently that lots of bikes for sale say "cafe" in the title or somewhere in the description. Seems to be a selling point I guess. I'm not knocking them, I'm not complaining, just my thoughts on the ads I've been seeing. I love the cafe bikes, but it appears to be one of those descriptions that is being tossed around a little too loosely. Remember the Trans-Am....that never raced in the Trans-Am series. It was just a name to sell a car.
Now it appears that every older, standard is a "Cafe" waiting to shed it's stock attire and breath deeply as it thumps around the twisties. I'm actually ammused at some ideas of "cafe".
I saw this one on Craigslist today. Check out the custom rear suspension.
View attachment 13923
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/2792127058.html

Where's our thread of Craigslist bloopers? :bike:

The girl with the dragon tattoo drives a "cafe" in that new movie so I think the craze is definitely "in" - it's hit Hollywood, lol. Her's looks to be a clapped out 350 Honda with clip-ons and loud muffs. The magic of Hollywood makes it look like it's going pretty fast, actually faster than it probably can go, lol.

Cafe cb350's and the such are HOT down here in Austin Tx. Its like the new hipster thing to ride. Have a few going up for sale next month.

Sold my CL360 last week. Already miss her, but with 17 other bikes in the garage im still good.

Back