cam chain tensioner copper washer ? anybody got one?

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
I need the copper washer that goes on the cam chain tensioner. I have tensioner type E in this photo. 80-84 type. Anybody got one or know where I can get one. Does it have to be a special material or can I get a thick copper washer from Fastenal?

Thanks.

Attachments

• CamChainTensioner.jpg
    CamChainTensioner.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 365
  • TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Well, I would say that it is just a base plate for the tensioner spring, so if you can find similar with suitable measurements, I think it would be ok. But then again, I am just a beginner with the XS-machines, so maybe someone else knows better?

Pasi

Thanks Grinder. You sure this is for the right thing? No washer pictured or mentioned??? Looks like its the actual spring/shaft combo.?? Just want to be sure before I order something I already have.

Mike's has them PN- 18-0873 or still available from Yamaha.

I believe that part number is for the damper, not the washer.

From the illustration posted, it looks like what you call the washer, they call the Copper Lock Nut Gasket, #18-0872.

If you do a search on this topic, others have asked the same question and gotten answers.

I have the lock nut gasket, but not the Copper Washer. The gasket goes aginst the locknut, the washer goes between the spring and the treaded part of the assembly. In the pic, im looking for the smaller washer. It appears that this may be typical to be missing this part. It may be a regular washer or a thick washer Im not sure. Ive seen photos that suggest both. If any one knows , please. I will be going to fasten all tomorrow to see what they have in stock. Im concerned with the thickness if anyone knows it or can caliper it for me.

Thanks

Attachments

• Cam Chain Tensioner Parts.jpg
    Cam Chain Tensioner Parts.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 87
I think you want the newer style metal/rubber damper washer (which Mike's sells as well). It's hard to say as these darn tensioner assemblies change so much over the years. That new style is thicker than the copper washer so your plunger may not come out flush with the end of the adjusting screw if you use it. It will work but makes adjustments more difficult.

Hey, whichever works. I'll use either one. Do you have a part # for the metal/rubber one from Mikes? I'll go look for it now.

Could I use a regular washer until i find the right thing? I dont suspect it would damage anything, just may not be as quiet as copper.

Opinions???

On Mike's go to engine-camshafts and scroll about halfway down. They call it a damper. I put one on my 77. My pushrod always used to come out past the nut and now it sits flush as it should with some movement.
PN 18-0873

Ok, I'll order it. It isnt pictured. They picture one part but describe another. Hard to know what your going to get. If it worked for you it will probably work for me.

Shipping is more than the part.....:banghead:

Would a regular washer work???

The picture isn't great I agree but it does go in between the spring and the threaded part where the arrows are pointing to. It's kind of a rubber coated washer if I remember correctly. A regular washer would probably be fine. Mine had nothing there and it came that way from the factory. I added it to bring the rod closer to the flush setting that everyone talks about.

Yes, any copper washer should work. I think retiredgentleman just stuck some old copper washer he found in his spare parts jar on there. A brass one would probably work as well. It's there to pad the plunger when it strikes the adjusting screw so something a bit softer than steel is probably best.

So, I picked up two washers this morning. A brass and a copper. The brass one will work. The copper one may work, or may be just a cunt hair big on the OD. I'll know tonight. I can still order mikes part if one of these doesnt keep it as quiet as id like.

Attachments

• IMAG0642.jpg
    IMAG0642.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0643.jpg
    IMAG0643.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 122
I would use the thicker of the two (or maybe use both?) as the original was a bit thicker than those. For the copper one, simply file the O.D. down a little if it's too big. See how your adjustment comes out. If the plunger comes out past the adjuster then a thicker washer (or double) could go in there.

If you read the description for Mike's new style rubber/metal washer, you'll see that they claim it can be retro-fitted to older models. Being that it's nearly twice as thick as the original copper washer, it presents one small problem - the plunger will no longer be flush with the adjuster when set at the correct tension, it will be inset. This makes setting the tension rather difficult as you can't see the end of the plunger. If you tighten the adjuster enough so the plunger is flush, you'll have no movement and the chain will be too tight. They fail to mention that little tidbit in their sales pitch.

Twins,

I thought about using both. Copper behind the brass. I was going to ask. Thanks. I'll start with the copper and see how that works. If I need more I'll throw the brass one on.

Thanks everyone

Back