Cam chain tensioner gasket

wmurray

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

You have all been amazing at answering my newbie questions, so here I come again for more.

I have a pretty good oil leak coming from the cam chain tensioner. It looks like it's probably the gasket under under the 6 bolt cover. I'd love to replace this myself instead of paying a shop to have it done, but I'm concerned about the ramifications of removing the necessary parts to get in there. I don't want to botch the job then have that cause damage/require an expensive repair that I have to bring to a professional.

I guess my question is what does this entail? What should I be watching out for? Or, am I better off letting a pro handle it?

Edit: I checked the Clymer's, all it says is take it out, put it in with a little gasket cement. Just wanted to verify the accuracy of that.

Thank you in advance. Never a bum steer, here.

yes once ya get the carbies out of the way it's a piece of cake
It can be done with out removing the carbie too just not as easy
I would replace the gasket with a new one.
I would loosen the adjuster before I put it back in too.
once back together readjust the tensioner.

A couple of members here experienced camchain timing slip when they removed the tensioner. Caused by overly stretched camchain, and rotating the engine with the tensioner removed. To be safe, put crank at TDC (so cam isn't trying to turn), and don't try turning it until the tensioner is reinstalled...

No gasket cement needs to be used. This just makes taking it apart much harder.
A thin coat of anti-seize or grease on both sides of the gasket will seal it just fine. Some use motor oil.
another thing, it may not be that gasket but the o-ring seals on the adjuster itself.
You don't mention the year of your engine. They used several styles of adjuster.
Here is a chart to help ID yours. Look at the chart and see the O-rings.
Leo

Attachments

• TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,406
Back