cam guide NOT AVAILABLE anywhere?

I ordered mine from Yambits a couple of weeks ago. They are located out in the UK and took about a week for it to ship to me (I'm living in California). I was really surprised at how fast it got to me.

I just ordered mine from them, too and the status on my order is "dispatched" which my English friend Nick told me means it's on its way in the mail!

just got mine from xs650shop.de. appears to be the correct part. $43 with shipping, took about 11 days to arrive.

My chain guide was delivered on May 30th from Powersports Plus. Sorry for the long delay in posting an update. I was out of the country for about the past ten dates. The guide design is slightly different (I think someone already pointed this out in an earlier post), but the overall dimensions are the same and everything looks great!

Looking to get a front Guide Stop. Crap, Powersports Plus says they have one but they want $48 before S&H. Damn. WTF? Need to replace my buddy's fast. Aluminum specs all in his oil, even after two flushes.
I live these motors but makes me not want to deal with one if it's so hard to find a common engine part.

I would not recommend a used one. They are all 30+ years old after all. Besides wear to the rubber, the other major problem originals suffer from is the rubber strip coming unglued from the aluminum base. My original wasn't worn through or anything but was 2/3 of the way unglued. The rubber had completely fallen off the one in my parts bike motor. It wasn't worn much either.

Did some searching and found ONE at Speed and Sport Inc. in PA. Had to take a bullet on the price. :yikes: $86 with shipping and in the mail tomorrow. :wtf:
Try calling older Yamaha Mom and Pop Dealers. Good luck guys.

Did some searching and found ONE at Speed and Sport Inc. in PA. Had to take a bullet on the price. :yikes: $86 with shipping and in the mail tomorrow. :wtf:
Try calling older Yamaha Mom and Pop Dealers. Good luck guys.

:umm: I think you shot yourself, there have been links posted and help offered for 1/2 that cost

Probably right, but I needed it quickish and didn't see how it would come out to $48 from England when the currency exchange rate is $1.56 to 1 British pound. That would make the part in England only 25 British.
Oh well, guy whose bike I doing the work on is payin and in kinda a hurry.

I've got a friend with one that is coming apart and was wondering if anyone ever tried re-gluing one with contact cement or something. I am really needing to get a new one, but Mikes is very vague on when they will be in stock.
I need to get into my motor to replace the head gasket and valve seals. And while I'm in there I thought I should go ahead and do a top end rebuild.

I would not do a reglue the rubber gets hard with age and the risk of damage (and having to pull the motor AGAIN) if the glue fails is just too high.

It looks like a very simple part to make but after you get moulds and tooling it may not be worth making it. Many other bikes have had the same problem KZ for one and there are so many plastic materals out there that would hold up nice. Maybe a nice little money maker if you got the right shop tools. Most of all the newer bike run a hard plastic no metal at all. Stupid to have a little part like that hold up builds but thats vintage building. They are going to come back and everyone is going to be smart and buy spares.

skip the teflon, use delrin instead, it is better in this application.

Good idea. I use delrin at work for similar applications. As tough and machineable as delrin is, you could almost machine the entire guide out of one piece of delrin, and eliminate the need to glue it on or attach it with screws.
I'm going to give this some thought, I might try it sometime.

DLD1

Good idea. I use delrin at work for similar applications. As tough and machineable as delrin is, you could almost machine the entire guide out of one piece of delrin, and eliminate the need to glue it on or attach it with screws.
I'm going to give this some thought, I might try it sometime.

DLD1

Agreed, teflon was tried and failed miserably in automotive bearings years ago as it couldn't stand the heat. That's also why teflon is no longer allowed for no stick cookware. I'm hoping someone will cast (Vacuum form?) or machine these guides from delrin or a similar plastic and keep them available for a very long time as I want my XS to be my last motorcycle.

Agreed, teflon was tried and failed miserably in automotive bearings years ago as it couldn't stand the heat. That's also why teflon is no longer allowed for no stick cookware. I'm hoping someone will cast (Vacuum form?) or machine these guides from delrin or a similar plastic and keep them available for a very long time as I want my XS to be my last motorcycle.

Same here. I love my XS, and want to keep it running until I can no longer get on it. I'm 59 now, and want to ride as long as I can, and I want to do it on the XS. I'm going to look closely at the part, I have an old one somewhere, and see how difficult I think it would be to machine one. I do a lot of manual machine work on my job, so I think it would be pretty easy to do.

DLD1

Back