camshaft options

wyorat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 that I just tore apart, and found the camshaft with some pretty significant wear and scoring. Where can a guy find new cam? I don't need anything crazy, just stock or similar. Also, how much wear is acceptable on the rocker arms? They seem to have quite a bit.
Thanks
Scott

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 187
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 201
need bigger pics to really see.

Judging by what i can see the rockers are caput. lack of oil will do that. need to check to make sure the oil is getting up into your head at the required amount

Here are a couple more pictures. I tried to increase the size
Thanks

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 192
  • rocker.jpg
    rocker.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 177
The rocker arms and cam should be replaced. Finding a new cam is going to be hard. Ebay is an option or the classified on site for a used cam. What do the cylinder bores and pistons look like. Lack of oil to the head might have been caused by no oil in the bottom end. I would check the oil pump and main bearings also.

My last motor I built was like that. New rcker arms. New cam. Then while I was in there decided to split cases. New bearings....New trans gear set...New rods. Re clearanced the oil pump. That motor added up fast. Technically you should be fine on the bottom end i think....arent those rollers splash lubed?

Alternator side and the two center are pressure fed. The drive side gets plenty of splash from the clutch side as the clutch runs in the oil and flings oil around inside the right side cover enough to lube the crank bearing.
Here's some charts showing the oil flow in the engine.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_86908280.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_86908280.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 138
  • LostFile_JPG_86908152.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_86908152.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 132
The cam has a crack in it, so it would not even work for a re-grind. I would love to add a webcam regrind, but cannot justify buying a cam for a core then spending 150 on the re-surface.
I cannot feel any grit in the bottom end, but suppose I should split the cases to be sure.
Thanks for the input.

Depending on the condition of the pistons and Cylinder bores. The cases might not need to be split. Right now the cam and rockers are bad. Presumably from lack of oil. If the pistons are not scored from lack of oil. The oil pump would be the next place to look and the oil filter. The crank shaft bearings might not be damaged. If I had some pictures of the pistons and cylinders. That kind of wear would produce fine particles not chunks. Drain plug magnets check for particles. Report back what the oil pump looks like.

I will get a couple pictures of the pistons and sleeves tonight. The magnet on the sump filter did have some debris on it. There is some scoring on the skirting, but I don't know if it is excessive.
Thank you for the advise. I will get some pictures up.

Here are a couple pictures of the pistons and bore. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• pistion1.jpg
    pistion1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 134
  • piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 140
  • sleeve.jpg
    sleeve.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 129
  • oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 138
wyorat,
If you can follow Xsleo's oil delivery diagrams and find as many of those passages, those are the ones that need to be checked for blockages. Especially the one from the sump to the oil pump, then across the front of the engine and the up the oil delivery tube to the head.

Sent you an email, but it may land in your junk/spam mail.:)

The pistons show no signs of overheating or galling from lack of oil. The bores look ok from the small pictures. If they meet factory clearances you should be able to use again. The cam and rockers appears to be the only problem area. Some times cams will fail for no apparent reason they just do. The oil pump should be checked for specifications. Google up some oil pump threads. Some good threads on reconditioning. I would do that while the pump is apart. Brian902 advice on the oil passages. The bottom end should be OK my opinion.

Back