Can I avoid engine removal?

MrThud

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I searched and saw some reference to this question, but given the wording was more in the lines of 'probably' than 'definitely' I though I would ask again.

2 of my XS650s need some top end work.
1 engine only needs new Cam Bearings (i think..)
the other engine has a bent valve..or two.

My question is:
Is there some way I can do these separate jobs without removing the engine from the frame.
Engine 1: Cam bearings.
Cant I just remove the top engine mount, loosen the cam chain adjuster, remove the points plate, remove the rocker cover bolts and the lift the rocker cover up enough to slide the bearings of the cam shaft?

Engine 2: Bent Valve.
As above, only also loosen the engine mounting bolts and manover the top of the engine slightly forward in order to take the rocker cover of completely..then remove cam and head..

I really dont want to take the engines out unless I have no option. I recently hurt myself lifting a cb750 engine on my own and although im aware of the xs650 removal procedures (including place frame on side etc) I want to avoid the inevitable pain! additionally time and space are a limiting factor.

So..has anyone done this type of top end work with the engine still in the frame?
cheers,
'G'

You might be able to do cam bearings while the engine is in the frame. But the rocker cover will not have enough room to come off. There's no way you can do a top end with the engine in the frame.

Call some buddies and buy the beer. That's how I get my engines out. :)

Plan on taking the motor out. Even if you slipped the cam cover up enough to pull the bearings you still need to reseal it with liquid sealer ifter cleaning the old junk out, then retorque. I would look around too while in there. Try to find out why the cam bearings went in the first place.

Yes, cleaning and re-sealing that top cover would be one of my main concerns. Besides the surfaces around the outer edges, there are some in towards the center that need cleaning and fresh sealer applied. I don't think that would be possible with the top cover just lifted slightly.

The big problem with removing one of these motors is there's nothing there to grab onto. If you have access to a welder, you can fab up a couple simple pipe "handles" .....

MotorHandles.jpg

MotorHandles2.jpg

With a helper you can then pick the motor up like a stretcher and removal/install is pretty easy.

I also heard that it is possible to lay the engine on it's side and drop the frame over it and bolt the engine in. Is this advisable?

Come on, I have pulled my engine and reinstalled by myself many times. Its only weighs 120 Lbs and theres plently of spots to grab it from.Man up Nancy, Ok alittle harsh but really its pretty easy and you will be much better off working on it up on a bench where you can really get at everything.

I'll probably make a set of those handles next time. It's a little heavy to lift by yourself and easy to pinch your hand.

Look through the homemade tool thread. Many clever ways to pull engines. I like the tee handled u that hooks to a chain falls to pull engines. Could use it with an old office chair.

Come on, I have pulled my engine and reinstalled by myself many times. Its only weighs 120 Lbs and theres plently of spots to grab it from.Man up Nancy, Ok alittle harsh but really its pretty easy and you will be much better off working on it up on a bench where you can really get at everything.

:laughing: That's what I'm talking about... of course some of these guys don't weigh much more than that...

Thanks to those with constructive feedback.
I like the engine handle idea and will weld a set up.

Pity both engines have to come out as I was hoping to turn this around fast without rearranging my shed. (I have 15 bikes in a very small space).

Cheers, G.

PS When I said I hurt myself lifting cb750 engines on my own (I have done this many many times), i wasnt refering to a sore finger or something trivial.

The 650 engine is a lot lighter and less awkward than the CB750. I am old with a sketchy back, and have pulled several this year, and it looks like one is coming out this weekend. Something of about the same height to move it over onto is nice. I have thought about having my wife help but it's never seemed necessary. Then again I cut, haul and hand split all of my house heat too.

The more you do it the easier it gets. I did find a few things that helped out. Of course pull the carbs and I take off the left side cover, pull all the bolts and mounts off except for the lower ceneter bolt and the lower aft one on the down tube. Then when ready to yank it pull the lower down tube bolt. With the only bolt being the lower center one have a hammer and long punch ready to knock that out. The engine comes out the right side of the frame. Just let it lay on the right down tube motor mount once all bolts are out and tip it over towards you. When it clear the upper frame you can lift it out. It you want you can place some heavy rags, carpet or rubber hose over the frame areas where it bounces around to protect the paint. That is usually more important on the way in once the cleaning and paint work is done. Use the reverse steps to install. I tried making handles and even an adapter to go onto my hydraulic bike floor lift but the motor needs the tilt action to get it in and out. Human hands and backs still do the job best.

I was able to take the rocker cover off by laying the engine on it's side in the frame. Was pretty easy, undo the mounts, tpull the top to the side and wiggle a bit. Had the cam timing adjusted and the engine back in theframe in well under an hour.

Posted via Mobile

:laughing: That's what I'm talking about... of course some of these guys don't weigh much more than that...

Just fell off my bench :laugh:

Its just soo light engine, old 4 pot japs are litle hevier and they are jumping off the frame even with lots of beer involved:bike:

Back