Can I use a stock regulator off an '81 with my PMA?

pinned

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello -

I've recently been working to find the cause my burnt Pamco and after a second test of my PMA's output, it appears that my regulator is to blame (I have checked to insure the ground itself is solid). The bad regulator came with a PMA / Pamco kit I bought from Mike's. I still have the stock PMA that came on the bike and believe that it is still good. Can I use this regulator without any undesirable effects?

Thanks in advance, I have searched for an answer but haven't turned up anything so far.

Yeah and if it had a pma when you got it someone put it on, never came stock. If that's the case you might be able to use the regulator.

This is why I recommend getting a PMA from Hugh. With Mike's you get no support.
Hugh would do whatever it takes to help you get it to work.
Hugh sells new reg/recs for $47.50.
Leo

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a regulator from Hugh last week. I am hoping that it will be here today or tomorrow. I agree with you on the difference between ordering from Hugh and ordering from Mike's, Leo. I've ordered from both Hugh and Mike's a couple of times now and the difference is night and day.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a regulator from Hugh last week. I am hoping that it will be here today or tomorrow. I agree with you on the difference between ordering from Hugh and ordering from Mike's, Leo. I've ordered from both Hugh and Mike's a couple of times now and the difference is night and day.

Thanks so much for the support my man... I hope we can get you back up and running ASAP...

Hugh

As a matter of fact, Hugh, I was installing my new regulator about the time you posted yesterday. Now I just need to get off my butt and go retest my output. I'd be riding today if it wasn't 30F out.

Thanks for the super fast shipping.

Well, something can't be right. I installed my new regulator and I am still getting ~15.44 (the highest number I saw before I killed the bike). My ground for both the capacitor and the regulator are only about 6" long. They are grounded via the same soldered connection - it makes no sense to me that this would make a difference, but could it? I am confident that my ground connections are good and I'm pretty confident that I didn't get two bad regulators in a row, but I'm at a loss for another explanation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• elec.jpg
    elec.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 110
On a side note, I disconnected my regulator output and ground (leaving it connected to the PMA and running the bike off a battery). When I hooked my meter up to the reg output / ground, I didn't see a reading over 14.6 or so.

I'll hook up my battery in place of the cap next and see what effect that has.

I think it may be wired up a bit wrong. The red wire from the reg should go to the cap. From this junction you should run to the fuse.
The cap can't load the rec right unless it's hooked to the reg.
Easy fix, just unhook the positive wire from the cap, from where it hooks to the distribution strip and hook it to the reg side of the fuse.
The fuse should protect everything if it blows. The way you have it if the fuse blows it unhooks the cap from the reg. Not a good thing.
Leo

Thanks for the input Leo. I rearranged things according to your suggestion - which I needed to do anyhow - but it doesn't seem to have addressed my voltage issue at all, my last test went as high as 15.65v. I keep thinking it's got to be something simple, there really isn't too much to go wrong.

I haven't yet swapped the battery in place of the cap. If I do so and my voltage issue disappears, would this suggest that maybe the cap is bad?

edit: I swapped the battery in and it did improve my situation but I still managed to get a reading of 15.1v when I revved the bike.

On a possibly related note, my headlight is out. I read where Pete said that the headlight is probably the biggest draw on the electrical system and helps to keep voltage in check - but it seems odd to me that something like a burnt out headlight could potentially cause a situation that could fry my ignition. Is there something else to it?

Last edited:
Back