Can this be done?

chief01

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 77 points engine that's in great shape. I'd like to convert to TCI. I have a 80 head and cam and I was thinking if I switched head and cam and added the TCI box would it work?

No. You need a TCI charging rotor and pick up; i.e. you need a rotor and pick up from an 80 or later bike.

And the 80 head and cam isn't necessary and doesn't help you any.

But yes the parts all bolt on and it will work. You don't need to switch the head or cam either. Just bolt on and wire a TCI rotor, stator with pickups, TCI box and dual lead coil.

And my two cents -- although I have a good-running TCI bike, I don't trust the TCI at all. A 30 year old TCI can crap out at any moment, and although some have fixed them, in most cases you're pretty much screwed. Putting a Pamco in a points bike is way simpler, cheaper and more reliable in my opinion.

I did the same swap,'80 TCI into a '77..... no regrets.
IF you have all the TCI parts handy then go for it. Save your points set-up in case you want to go Pamco later.
IF you don't have the complete TCI setup to swap then start price comparing.

Boyer Brandsen is another option if your objective is to replace your breaker point/mechanical advance system with a modern, fully electronic one.

Screw the OE TCI. It died on my '80 SG about 1.5years ago. You could be miles away fron home when the TCI dies. I got a Pamco and never looked back. You already have the ATU installed, go Pamco. Less wireing to do and all you need is the Pamco and dual plug coil.

although I have a good-running TCI bike, I don't trust the TCI at all. A 30 year old TCI can crap out at any moment, and although some have fixed them, in most cases you're pretty much screwed.

Anything can crap out at any moment. TCI is the most reliable ignition there is for this bike, even at 30 years of age. You don't have to worry about fucking weights and springs for one thing, or your coil burning out from it.

But I would not run any ignition without a spare. And that spare will take care of you. You're not pretty much screwed.

Anything can crap out at any moment. TCI is the most reliable ignition there is for this bike, even at 30 years of age. You don't have to worry about fucking weights and springs for one thing, or your coil burning out from it.

But I would not run any ignition without a spare. And that spare will take care of you. You're not pretty much screwed.

Completely disagree...pamco blows the tci out of the freakin water in this debate. IMHO

I can say this because I have a points, (converted to pamco) and a TCI bike, So i've experienced all three options. There is not a stock option that can start my "sitting for a month in 20-40 degree weather" bike in one kick...where as my pamco will, without fail start and run my bike in the most straining of conditions in relation to available voltage and power

ding ding ...........round 2 ..........................who's got the popcorn :D

I've inherited a Boyer Branson with my 79 2F . I'm considering switching back to a points system cos I'm perverse like that. :D

Mind you my primary vehicles are cars so I can afford the odd non start or breakdown .

If I break down out in the sticks I can check and fault find and adjust a set of points and replace a condenser easilly but with electonic ignition I'm screwed unless I carry an expensive spare

Well it's hands down the pamco over points. Unless you like getting sweaty while doing the "drill" I have seen dead TCIs but never experienced one. I think I am in the use a TCI if you have one, but I wouldn't buy one camp. Often overlooked by guys in a hurry for a running bike is checking and CORRECTING the advance mechanism with points OR Pamco conversions. Odds are pretty high it over advances. Holed pistons follow. I'd rather have a dead TCI than holed pistons.

I wish we could talk Pete into building a crank trigger ignition with electronic advance. the chip is cheap but implementing it is a bit more complicated.

I wish we could talk Pete into building a crank trigger ignition with electronic advance. the chip is cheap but implementing it is a bit more complicated.
I wish we could talk Pete into building a modern XS650 TCI box. The TCI works great when it works, and I assume it could be made much more reliable simply by building it with modern parts and processes. Then all you would have to do is unplug the old one when it dies, and plug in Pete's new one, what could be simpler?

When I asked Pete about it, he said:
"A new design TCI box would only be suitable for the '80 to '83 models. There are other boxes out there that have all the features of the TCI system, but they are expensive. My objective was to make a low cost, reliable and simple replacement for the points."

Well, I feel that there are as many 80 to 83 models on the road as there are all of the other models. And, yes, the other boxes out there ARE expensive, and are way more complicated to install than a newly made TCI that you could just plug in would be. And finally, yes Pete, you have achieved a low cost, reliable and simple replacement for the points. Maybe now it's time for a TCI replacement project.

I respect Pete's thoughts and opinions, but maybe if we all made enough noise Pete would look into this. I'm no electronics whiz, but how hard could it be to reverse engineer a TCI and produce a modern replacement?

P.S.: I am sitting on at least five XS650 engines with bad TCIs right now.

P.P.S.: Yes, I know I can buy a 30-year old used TCI on eBay for $100, and I'd probably end up with one that "works" until the bike warms up, and then craps out.

Last edited:
Well, I am looking at a simple add on for existing PAMCO's that will take the place of the mechanical advancer with an electronic equivalent. No frills or fancy stuff. Just an electronic equivalent.

Well, I am looking at a simple add on for existing PAMCO's that will take the place of the mechanical advancer with an electronic equivalent. No frills or fancy stuff. Just an electronic equivalent.
Well, that would be great too. Please try to make it.

Dogbunny If you have five TCI bikes with bad TCIs, what are you trying to say? That every TCI out there is bad? Or 5/6 are bad? Or half, or one out of ten? I don't think so.

TCI is maligned here mainly because Pete is well-liked, which is fine, but you need to realize what's going on. Also, TCI gets blamed to things it's not responsible for, just as fuel filters are now and then.

If your criteria is low-battery starting once a month, then yes, Pamco might be your ignition.

My TCI failed once and I repaired it, just like you might have to fix your springs or weights or wiring or loose whatever. That was one time, and I've never had to use my spare, just keep it handy. It cost me $35 on ebay, in an auction.

Ah, and when the TCI failed it did not leave me stranded. It failed by small symptoms. Very important.

As for what's possible, a programmed chip added to the Pamco board would eliminate the springs and weights. But since the current Pamco costs more than a TCI, I assume Mark II would as well. When I first joined the other board and first heard of Pamco I offered to go in on it but there was no interest and the reason given was there weren't enough bikes out there to justify it.

Dogbunny If you have five TCI bikes with bad TCIs, what are you trying to say?
ALL I'm saying is that I would immediately buy at least five brand new TCIs if Pete started making them. I said that in an attempt to encourage Pete to make a modern TCI. I have no idea where you got that other stuff from.

That modification could and should eliminate the shortcomings it inherited from points as well. The self-destructive path there that it can wander down :)

Back