Cargo racks

soriFern

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a 77 650 special cargo rack (see profile picture for the bike). I'm not sure what kind I should be looking for, but I need one for strapping my bags to going between Calgary and Edmonton. Let me know what you guys thing.

Fern

Well Daniel Black found something in England but I don't think he has come up with a way to mount it?

Yup, a newly manufactured Craven L rack. I'm pretty sure it'll be an easy job of a few simple brackets, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Less than I expected it would be. ~25USD to Arizona.

Note: they have an XS650 listed on their page of bike-specific mounting kits. It is just a placement holder, they do not have a kit for our bike. They offered to have me send them measurements and such, but I'm choosing to make up a custom set.

Here's what it looks like mocked up on my '77. In final position, it'll sit back a bit further.

IMG_20170204_154522495_HDR.jpg

If you're going to have to do custom mounts, cutting and fitting a used rack from just about any bike would probably be your cheapest option. If you do have a Special model, keep in mind that the top shock mounts are located differently than on a Standard, a bit farther forward. If you run across a rack for a Standard, it may not fit a Special.

Anyone have a recommendation for a 77 650 special cargo rack (see profile picture for the bike). I'm not sure what kind I should be looking for, but I need one for strapping my bags to going between Calgary and Edmonton. Let me know what you guys thing.
Fern

Hi Fern,
like they said, try for a used one. Or build your own.
Here's mine; folded from an 8ga aluminum sheet that was too thin to be a sailboat centerboard.
The chrome rack is an aftermarket H-D item from a swapmeet.
You can see how it attaches to the bike's existing hardware and moves the rear light & signals
back to clear the soft bags trapped under the seat.
IMG_0073.JPG

Hi Fern,
like they said, try for a used one. Or build your own.
Here's mine; folded from an 8ga aluminum sheet that was too thin to be a sailboat centerboard.
The chrome rack is an aftermarket H-D item from a swapmeet.
You can see how it attaches to the bike's existing hardware and moves the rear light & signals
back to clear the soft bags trapped under the seat.
View attachment 101587
I would love to build my own if I had the manufacturing skills. You made that bracket yourself too? Did you have to do any welding? I currently have no access to a welder. I use to at my old job...but then I went back to school.

If you're going to have to do custom mounts, cutting and fitting a used rack from just about any bike would probably be your cheapest option. If you do have a Special model, keep in mind that the top shock mounts are located differently than on a Standard, a bit farther forward. If you run across a rack for a Standard, it may not fit a Special.
I speculate on if mine is a special or not. It is a 77 and as far as I know they didn't make a 77 special.. feel free to chime in if I'm wrong. I think it has a bunch of special stuff on it, like those side covers, and maybe even the gas tank. It was all repainted before I got it so I don't know what it all looked like before. Can you refer me to an ID thread on here?

Judging from only your "blurry on my phone" profile pic , I'd say you have a 78 Special II . Isn't that a 16" rear wheel ? I think you will be able to find a used "Special" rear rack.. -RT

I See a "Special" ! I think you can find a bolt on rack fairly easily -RT
One of the other gents on here messaged me with a few hes selling so I will keep you posted and put a pic up when shes all installed. JUst looking at 650skulls id chart and Its defs a special as long as the vins is what I remember it being :p

Your bike looks to me to be a standard, not a Special. It does have a lot of Special parts, but the frame looks to me to be a standard and that's the rack it will need.

Upper shock mount appears standard. Passenger foot peg loop is standard. Headllight mounts and wheels are standard. I also noted poor fit of seat and grab rail. My money's on standard.

Last edited:
Back