CB project

This is actually a pic of the PO that his wife shared with me. Cricketdrag.JPG

Once I got my engine parts together I put everything else on hold for reassembly. New Cam chain and guide, pistons in and I was ready to drop the cylinders onpistons4.JPG .enginetensioner.JPG Unlike the XS which in my opinion was very easy to assemble because each piston can go in one at a time then drop the jugs down and slip the pins and retainers in. Not so much with this one. they had to go two at a time with no room for my ring compressors. A few guys might remember I came up with the idea of plastic water bottle strips and zip ties. cylinderzip.JPG
Worked like a charmengine.JPG

Cool!

I like that milk-bottle strip + zip tie setup - clever and effective!:bow2:

Last edited:
Arcticxs I don’t believe those bags were labeled with a manufacturers name. I actually sold them because of what the po had done to mount them. He cut the seat stay and had a dirt dauber weld to hold the bracket on. I will say the PO had a unique way of doing things(can you say “hack” lol). I believe the owner who passed was not the culprit but had rather bought it that way with intentions of turning it into a drag bike. After doing a little research I happened across some info that suggested guys liked to turn those automatics into drag bikes which may have been his plan before his accident. All I know is that he never got to it. The fairing is a Wixom and someone had done a crappy splice job on the blinkers. None of those parts will be going back on and it took a minute to straighten things out

I did spend a little money on replacing fasteners. It's funny how you can buy a whole set for way less than piecing it. the full engine set was only about $35 on ebay.boltset.JPG
Once I had the engine back together it was time to get the frame together so I had something to mount it in. more sanding, powdercoating rusty parts and paint on the frame and chassis I had my roller.frameroller.JPG

I toyed with the idea of going cafe with this bike but the straight bars just didn't look right. I ended up just going back to the stock bars and factory set-up. I liked it better.almost2.JPG
Several things contributed to how I did things. Certain issues resulting in NLA parts really slowed me down as well. The carb boots can be purchased as a repop set but I think mine were ok. They still were pliable, the most difficult part was figuring out which went where because they are each shaped just a little bit different and I neglected to number them because the old I can remember was engaged that day.
The counter shaft seal looked like it had leaked before the bike stopped running and that NLA part was not easy. I ended up finding a company in TX that had one the size I needed, however it was just a touch thinner and not quite as beefy as the original. I also know it was a bear getting the old one out. I'm trying to load pics but my service is acting up so those are to come.

Finally I got the pics over. the only differences I could see in the two seals was the old one was 13mm and the new one was 10mm. everything else but the small tabs on the back was the same. hopefully there won't be any issues. I've gotten to the point on this project that NLA and surprises don't even phase me anymore. Just figure it out and keep moving forward.seal1.JPG seal2.JPG

Last winter I also bought a basket case '78 K model. No front end or wheels, but an engine, frame, assorted controls, hardware and a title. I turned around and sold the motor, frame and title to a 750 guy in town here for what I paid and got several bins of usable parts out of the deal. I was able to scratch a rear tail light and blinkers, a chrome headlamp ring, assorted springs,switches and color coded wiring parts off my list of needs. I also used the rear chain tensioners as mine were rusty as %$@*. Frame and chassis parts were interchangeable, not so much anything else.

I hate to keep backing up but for my XS build this forum was like a living documentation of my progress. With this project it went quite differently. the Honda forums that I tried simply did not measure up as far as participation. There seemed to be 3 or 4 guys that answered all the questions and it wasn't as much of an open discussion as with this forum. what I have done so far is as follows.
Frame and chassis,
New swingarm bushings and seals(swingarm was frozen on the bolt, took some time to get it loose)
Frame painted( all factory labels were meticulously preserved)
New shocks( one broken bolt stud repaired)
Battery box repaired and painted( PO had bent the top up for some reason)
All new rubber grommets.
New tires, wheels cleaned, bearings greased.
New brake shoes on rear, front MC powder coated and rebuilt, front caliper powder coated and rebuilt, new brake pads.
Upper and lower triple powder coated.
All hardware replaced with stainless hex screws where applicable.
Instruments taken apart for cases to be powder coated, then re-assembled.
Upper fork sleeves and headlight brackets powder coated.
Parking brake rebuilt and case polished.
Polished front fork lowers and new fork seals.
2) engine
New rings, valves, guides and seals.
New cam chain and guides
New oil seals throughout the engine.
All new gaskets (the only thing I didn't do was split the case)
Case and cylinders and head painted with ultra high temp gloss enamel.
Side engine covers powder coated.
All new stainless engine hardware.
Carbs rebuilt, replaced throttle valve diaphragm.
New throttle cables
New vacuum and drain lines.
New battery and cables.
3) Misc
Replaced seat stay.
Replaced rear turn signals and fixed the hacked wiring.
New chain.
Still much to do and a few issues still popping up.

Pretty much have everything back together, just have a few"glitches". One being no spark. I did a resistance reading on the coil and have 4.7-4.9 ohms on the primary to both but got nothing on the secondary. Tried a spare set and one coil with good primary reading, one with nothing. Got no readings on the secondary. What are the odds? bought a better meter just in case it was my HF freebie and still the same readings. Two new coils showed up today and I'm almost scared to check them in case I'm doing this wrong and bought two coils for nothing. Is there anything else I could be checking? Stator winding perhaps?closer1222.JPG

Two new coils showed up today and I'm almost scared to check them in case I'm doing this wrong and bought two coils for nothing. Is there anything else I could be checking?
Not sure the exact number on the Honda coils but most secondaries fall in the 4000 to 15,000 ohm range. Only one way to find out... ;)

Not to burst your bubble but the Hondamatic was a dog. Hell. I’ve been restoring 750s for years and they’re even considered dogs. We had ad a saying back in the 70s. Hondog.. The KZ900 put the CB750 in the boneyard. The 750A is considered rare to a extent. Good luck with your build brother..

Gator, no bubble to burst. I know it’s not the same as the K model in terms of power but it’s more of the uniqueness and just downright enjoyment of saving one from the boneyard. My first big bike was a ‘69 CB so I know there is going to be a difference. I don’t plan on racing it.

Back