Center Stand Removal

Superior77

'77xs650
Reaction score
Yes, I broke a foot off my center stand on a '77. It was very rusted and I will hope to find a replacement '77 stand for it. I can not remove the bolts that hold it on. It is rusty but I have spray with penetrating oil and have used a breaker bar. It does not budge. Is there something I don't know about these bolts or do I just need to put a torch on it. The bolts not the bike.

I should mention that the nuts came of very easy. Not even sure they where tight. It's the bolts that don't come out.

Last edited:
Oh, I've hit it. First with a hammer then with a 3lbs maul. It did not budge. I have now mushroomed the threads too.

I have now put my small bottle map gas torch on it to the point of cherry red. The bolt turns when rotate the stand so I heated the stand part to red and beat the snot out of it. Still no movement towards removal. :banghead:

Last edited:
The centerstand bolt is a heavy solid stud with just the end you took the nut off of threaded. Yours appear to be rusted solid into the stand. You're supposed to keep those things lubed. I even installed grease fittings on mine. The bolt shouldn't turn with the stand, that's the telltale sign it's rusted solid to it. You may have to cut the ends off the bolt and drill is some to get the stand off.

Normally, the stand can be repaired (weld the tang and/or foot back on, add a brace). Yours may be too trashed. The factory added a brace on the last couple years stands. I would look for one of them.

82_Stand3.jpg

I haven't had this bike very long and it had 24,000 on it when I got it. I have just got this one running nice and I road it out to dinner. That's when it broke, not as cool as I wanted it to be in front of the restaurant with people sitting on the patio. :D There will be more issues I'm sure. I just can't believe it is rusted solid like that to the stand. I will get the cutter out tomorrow and remove it. What year stands to replace it with are you talking about 5twins?

Anyone have one for me at a good price?

I think the last 2 years of production, '82 and '83. Just look for one like in the pic above, with the braced tang. Actually, you can brace any you get by just welding a piece in. This is mine after it broke and I repaired it. I added the bracing like the later stands have .....

BracedStand.jpg

My buddy's broke recently and I did the same fix to his. And added these .....

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

Here's my buddy's, all repaired, just in need of some paint .....

Fixtures-StandRepair.jpg

Your 650 buddy keeps you busy.
I hope he at least brings beer and bbq with the broken parts. ; )

I just got a center stand that was removed from an 82. Complete with nuts bolts and spring. The leaky push rod seal is supposed to keep the pivots lubed....

BWHAHAHA
dual purpose lubing, pivot points and the chain. I knew my leaky seal was good for something.

Anyone have one for me at a good price?

If you shop ebay for one look at it real carefully. Some of the ones there don't even have a tang on them anymore. Also, the leg with the tang is supposed to stick out to the side some to help clear the chain. People have bent and repaired these and some of them for sale aren't very good. I have one that's about a 3 of 10 that I would send you for shipping, which would probably be around $20 unfortunately. It has bolts and spring and I'm getting ready to toss it all in the trash. It doesn't have the reinforcement on the tang, which is necessary to have really. It would cost another $20 or more to get a welder to put one on. The tang is hollow, not solid, and it will twist or break off pretty assuredly.

One other thought. The end that's stuck for you has a hex head on it. An impact wrench will get it spinning in the stand. I wouldn't put heat in there, myself.

Last edited:
XJ, if you toss it, save the bolts and spring, they all interchange.

Hint that 82 stand is available...
Always nice to roll the rear wheel on a 2x4 before using the stand makes it easy on you AND the stand.

^Didn't realize you were offering it for sale. I'll just re-emphasize that my free one is crap :) Maybe I'll put the spring and bolts in the classifieds.

Back