charging system help

Aussie, which bike is this on? You list a 74 a 78 and an 80. On the 74 and 78 the mechanical regulator can be adjusted to up the charge voltage.

The 74

On the 80 it can't be adjusted.
In your post you list Stator Bush @Idle 11.2-11.7 ohms, dropped when revving engine I think you meant brush and volts not ohms.

See Image, yes I did mean BRUSH, The figures drop drastically when reving to less than half, and pick back up at idle again.

If this is correct then the voltage drop between the battery and brush is too much. With your battery reading 13.3 volts the volts at the brush should be no lower than 12.9-13 volts.

I would check all the connections between the battery and brush to find the voltage drop. Most probably in the key switch, the contacts get dirty. Some switches are screwed together, some crimped. If you can get it apart you can clean the contacts, bright and shiny are a good thing. A bit of dialectric grease will help keep them clean.
Clean, tighten and grease all the wiring connections.
Leo
Please no....:doh:My elec box was a nightmare to remove and an even bigger one to refit.... PO custom made it and bad,bad,bad design...

Retired Gent..13.2 volts is only partial charging...I agree

To be honest as long as it is consistent and I know what to expect & how to get by, I am going to live with it at least until I get the damn thing registered. After that I will put in a PMA and replace some of the wiring and connectors. The wire are pretty stiff and old.

Attachments

• IMG_0594 here.jpg
    IMG_0594 here.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 94
Back