Choke not working:

The needle jet is a push fit into the carb body from the top. Find an M5 screw or bolt about 1" to 1.5" long, screw it into the bottom of the needle jet where the main was mounted, and tap the jet up into the carb body and out.

You have to remove the top, then the diaphragm/slide/needle assembly.
Then you tap it out from the bowl side with something soft that won't get jammed in there or deform the jet. Think wooden dowel or soft aluminum rod.

And I will re-iterate/ repeat/ say again do only one at a time. So you will have a reference on how it should go back together.

You didn't answer 5twins question. Were the rubber plugs in it? The ones covering the pilot holes?

Yep, it was super dirty, and now all back together, now too put it back on bike, thanks everyone for your help:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 78
Hey guys, cleaned carb in all the areas you told me to clean and still choke isn't working, bike will start, place choke on, crank and when trying to start using the throttle it wil say started but at a low idle, push choke off it will die, what the heck is going on:banghead:Could it be a bad petcock:shrug:

Ok I did clean choke feed jet and could see light, could my idle circuits be restricted? Where do I go from here: shrug::shrug::shrug:
still not running right, it will started, but with choke on and me using a little throttle, but take choke off and the bike dies. the only jets I didn't take out was my pilot jets, could that make a difference?

Will it stay running with a bit of throttle? Like 1300 rpm ish if you hold id there with throttle? Choke off...?

If the pilot jets are dirty and plugged then yes.

Posted via Mobile

when I go to start it, it does take a little throttle to get it started, at idle with choke on I'm getting maybe a 1,000 rpms, push choke off it will stay started at about 500 rpms and then shuts off. I also notice after carb was on bike my clutch cable was on the back side between carbs, is that good (did notice where it was when taking carbs off)

Last edited:
Since you started this thread 4 days ago, with the title "Choke not working", everyone has focused on the choke. It just appears the choke is not working, your real problem is the pilot circuit is not supplying enough fuel/air mixture. Its obvious when you need the choke circuit to supply extra fuel, to keep the rpms up, because the pilot circuit is plugged.

A couple of days ago it was suggested to remove and clean the pilot and main jets. Now today, you say you have not removed the pilot jets. When the engine won't respond to the throttle, the pilot jet/circuit is the first thing that should be inspected.

Take both pilot jets out and see if they are plugged up with crap, as I'm sure you will see that they are.

Yes your right retiregentleman, (yeah I remove all of them except those):banghead: lesson learn the hard way:doh: getting a small screwdriver as I go home tonight. I just couldn't find one small enough when I had carb off. I' so mad at myself I could scream. Thanks will do it right this time.

Last edited:
These bikes will not idle fast either till warm. So either turn the idle screw up or, i put a piece of paper with a couple folds on it under the idle screw to fast idle it till warm. Idle speed when warm should be about 1200 1300 rpm.

Posted via Mobile

Pick up the correct style of screwdriver, modify a slant face one or get ready to learn about jets with stripped screw slots. One of the lesser desired lessons in XSology.

Cleaning the jets isn't all there is to it. You have to make sure the passageways they feed their fuel/air mix through are clear as well. That's as far as I'm going. I've explained the process numerous times and I'm tired of doing so.

Where would I buy this screwdriver slant face, whoever had these out before looks like they messed these pilot jets up, all the othe jets came out easy, where do I go from here?

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 89
Back