Choke not working:

wasn't too bad, but one hole on each side towards bottom were plug and I'm going to make sure the feeding tubes are open too, I'm going to soak and take wire through each hole when I get home from work, and I'll make sure the passage ways are cleared also.

Last edited:
Cleaning up my pilot jets, now when I spray in the pilot jet hole, spray come out just one side of the air jet is that normal, should it come out anywhere else?

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 85
All the little holes should be clear. You have BS30/96 type pilot jets. The metering orifice is on the bottom nipple shaped end of the jet. The little holes down the sides of the jet are air bleed holes. They let air in to mix with the fuel that enters the top of the jet. Like I said, all these little holes must be clear.

Pilots.jpg

Yes, all holes on pilot jets cleared, my question is with the jets out of carb, I spray cleaner down the hole in carb, come out on this side, the one air jet hole, is that good? just making sure all passages are clear.

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 101
No, that's not good. That is the inlet for the air. Sounds like the outlets are plugged. That means no fuel/air mix from your pilots can get through. The outlets are around where the butterfly plate closes. Three are clustered together and flow directly from the jet. The 4th is slightly ahead of them and comes from the jet to the mix screw, then out that little hole. Its flow amount can be adjusted with the mix screw.

OutletHoles.jpg

You will need to remove the mix screw and its associated parts (washer, o-ring, spring) to properly clean that 4th hole, and also so the carb cleaner doesn't destroy the o-ring.

There is one mix screw per carb. If you cant see the screws then there is most likely a brass plug from the factory still covering it. That plug has to be drilled out CAREFULLY, so as not to damage the screw head underneath. There is a write up in the carb quide that explains how to do that, not hard really, just takes a steady hand so as not to penetrate to far into the plug. Also if those caps are in place then Im guessing the o ring under the screw is in bad shape as its the original. It will need to be replaced for the bike to idle correctly.

Out of the bottom of the hole, in the tower for the mix screw.
A paper clip with a SHORT bent arm works well to "pick" the washer and o-ring out.

When the pilot jets were still in the carb and before I got them out, I sprayed cleaner in the jets and did get spray out the holes in carb, not sure if it was the mix screw outlet or the by pass, now with the jets out, should the spray still come out of those holes? (just wondering before I take mix screws out.

Last edited:
I have been reading the carb guide, I just don't want to mess up the air/fuel mixture that's all, looking for a little help here (first time I ever had my carbs off bike) sorry for being a pain:doh:

If they were capped then they were still at the factory setting which was too lean. You'll want to set them about 3 turns open from lightly seated (closed). Then fine tune them with the bike running. Usually 3 to 3.5 turns out is what these BS34s like.

When you spray or blow the carb cleaner through from the pilot jet hole, you'll need to block off the mix screw hole with a finger, maybe the air jet too, so all the cleaner and pressure is directed out those 4 holes in the main bore. You can also (and should) spray or blow cleaner in the mix screw hole while blocking the 4 holes in the main bore. This will "back flush" the passageway and come out the pilot jet hole. You can also alternately block off the 3 holes (so the cleaner comes out only the mix screw hole) and the mix screw hole (so the cleaner comes out only the 3 holes).

Since bs34 are from the era of lean epa jetting, the stock settings were around 1.5 turns out more than likely then capped off. Good place to start is 3 turns out or so, from gently seated. There is a way to tune them by ear. Im terrible at it. So, i have been getting the plugs colored from idle, then fine tuning. I have the right a nice tan, left is lighter. Needs a bit more.

Posted via Mobile

Back