Choke not working:

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I had trouble with a broken tach cable and bike would not run right. check make sure oil pump is good. re-did valve adjustment to make sure they were good, but it seem when I start bike the chke isn't working the right way, usually the rpms will go up, it will start but no rpms going up like choke isn't engaged. What the hack is going on? Could there be a hose loose or off somewhere?

Last edited:
It may just be coincidence that the enrichener quit working when the tach cable broke.
When you operate the enrichener it opens a valve that draws extra fuel from the float bowl.
Often all you need to do is pull the float bowls and clean out the passage. There is a hole drilled down from the lip of the float bowl, this hole crosses a hole drilled from low in the float bowl. There is a jet pressed into the hole down from the lip. This jet plugs up, stopping the fuel. Use a spray can carb cleaner to clean this hole. Spray down from the lip and in from the float bowl. This should clean it. If you have an air compressor, blowing air through will help clean it. If you read the carb guide it shows pics of the holes I mentioned. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Lwo

Got my tach cable today and put on bike, works good, now come the taking the carb off. To get to that enrichener valve and jet do I have to take the float out? (I have the cable choke).

your bike looks to be stock, it is cramped quarters in there. The bowls are held on with Phillips screw(bolt thread)
You might be able to get the two outboard screws out, but there are still two screws inboard.
You will probably have to take the carbs out of the bike entirely to just take the bowls off. Once the bowls are off, it should only take a moment to clear that jet. Once you do clear the jet, shine a very brite light down in the bowl, and see if you see light in the hole that goes down the lip.
Take off your cam chain adjuster cover to give you more room to get the carbs out/in.
Its kinda funny, could take a few hours amd a few choice words to get the carbs in and out, for just a 20 minute fix. When your done, replace the screws with stainless cap screws.
Read the carb guide for more useful tips on getting your carb bank out.

Just what it says. It syncs the carbs to one another so they run at the same speed. It matches the butterfly plate openings so they are the same between carbs. The screw actually adjusts only the right plate, but that allows you to match its opening exactly to the left one.

Were your cable hooks to the carbs is a shaft. This shaft is hooked to the enricheners. They go horizontally across each carb. As you move the lever on the bars you will see the enricheners open and close.
When open a vacuum draws fuel up out of the float bowl through the jets and passages in the float bowl that we talked about. The passages up in the carb body to the enrichener valves is fairly large and seldom get plugged. Just cleaning the float bowl passages and jets clean will fix it.
Leo

You might consider doing just one carb at a time so you can reference if you get fuddled.

Yes, don't mix the parts up between carbs if possible.

since you have to take both carbs out anyways, read thru the carb guide, and write down what brass is in there, take out the pilot/mains, diaphragm and needles, and the idle mix screws, and clean them all out. might as well, rite?

Well guys got carb off and it sure need cleaning. what jets are in the bottom holes of float?

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 124
Lower hole between the floats is your pilot jet. It should have had a rubber plug or cap on it. If that was missing, there's part of your problem. Upper hole is where the main mounted, and I see you've removed it.

PilotRubberPlug.jpg

But you're not done yet. Under that washer resides the needle jet. You'll want/need to remove and clean that as well. It taps up and out into the main bore. Notice the locating slot on its side. That fits on a peg sticking out from the side of the hole and properly orients the jet so its feed holes line up with those in the carb body.

NeedleJetHole.jpg

Here's what they look like once removed. Notice all the tiny holes up and down the sides. They may be plugged .....

StockNeedleJets.jpg

You'll note the choke feed tube in my 1st pic. That fits down into a bored passageway along the edge of the float bowl. At the bottom of that bore is the choke feed jet, another easily plugged item. If it's blocked, the choke won't function. Check it like so .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

Back