Chopper rebuild time!

The fender looks good, leave it alone. And THANK YOU for taking the bicycle seat off! That thing ain't got pedals.

The new seat is much better. You gonna get this done by tonight for those shakedown runs?

That's the plan, I finished up the struts last night and threw some rattle can paint at it.

Tonight is just assembly. Hopefully about two hours worth of assembly then ride!

Well things didn't go quite as planned, but looks like I'm still in good shape.
I did get the bike all together on Thurs. But the bike wasn't running very well. Then it stopped getting fuel all together and stopped running. So my Dad and I did some diag and stuff. We took off the carbs and cleaned them very thoroughly. Put them back on and got it running again, but still having problems with the left side. I have some spare coils, so I swapped it, but no dice. Then I smarted up a tad and tried a spare condenser I had lying around, Bam, works like a champ!
Once again trying the simple things first would have saved me lots of time.

Anyway, it's a little drizzly this morning from the fog, but hopefully it'll clear up this afternoon and I'll get to take it for a run. My brother in law shows up mid-afternoon, so it looks like I just made it :)

Hopefully some pics to come later today...

Well good work on meeting your deadline. I never make them.

Let's see how it turned out!

That's going to look really good.......and it looked really good before.....

I commend you for actually going ahead and completely redoing something that you obviously worked very hard on in the first place.....And I envy your skill:thumbsup:

Right you are guys, I definitely need to update this thread.

Here's the chronicle from where I last left off. I tossed some spray paint on the bike to cover the bare metal. put the remainder of the bike together and it was having running issues. Found the condenser was not grounded properly, then there was a piece of rubber stuck in the crossover tubes between the carbs. Got the bike together and running properly the Sat. morning that my brother in law showed up.

We got to go for a couple rides Sat. here's a few shots of the bike that day.

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

8-21-2010HarrisBeachRide005.jpg

8-21-2010HarrisBeachRide006.jpg

8-21-2010HarrisBeachRide007.jpg

Sunday I got to go for another ride out the a local golf course to play a round, and about a mile from the course my bike backfired then all the lights went out and it started running on one cylinder again. Fortunately my dad was able to come down and we loaded the bike into the back of my pickup, I said forget it I'll look at it later and played some golf.

When I got time to look at it I found the battery bone dry- checked the charging voltage and it was around 17V! Oops. I never really checked on the battery water level, I think it got completely dried out and shorted everything else out. I got another battery to see if there were any more problems and sure enough it was still running on one cylinder. I pulled the carb back apart on the left side some sort of filing was stuck dead center in my pilot jet. The rest of the carb was spotless. Now the bike starts first kick every single time, even dead cold.

I got a new regulator for the bike, but it's a little bit different style so I had to rewire things a bit. That's where I'm at right now, just finishing up the rewire and put my new battery in. Should be really ready to ride this weekend. I hope.

The bike is super comfortable, but I didn't realize until I had it back on the ground that I should have put the seat further back. :(

having seen an xs chop in person, and with pics of you actually on it, i can't get over how small these bikes look when they're chopped. is it just me?

Ok little update on this bike:

I moved the seat back about four inches and have been riding it, but it just looks way too ordinary and honestly I'm not loving it. So yesterday I had a little brainstorm and decided to steal the clip ons from my other bike project and slap them on this bike, here's the results, I happen to love it!

Definitely makes you lean over more, but I never rode this thing long distance anyway LOL.

DSCF1714.jpg

DSCF1715.jpg

DSCF1717.jpg

riding position pic:

DSCF1718.jpg

DSCF1720.jpg

DSCF1721.jpg

Sorry for the progressively darker pictures, best I could do right now.

The bars from this bike will probably go on my turbo sportbike build. Maybe they'll fit that one better!

Thanks for looking
Sky

Back