cleaning outside of engine question

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
im looking to paint my engine and am having trouble getting the dirt cleaned out from between the fins. i have used aircraft stripper to get things started but it still needs to be cleaner i think any help............. anything i can soak things in.

Clean with paper towel wrapped around a paint stir stick or popsickle stick. Then use sandpaper around the same to scratch sand before painting.

i have disassembled it but dont have a compressor that will run a blast gun.. how much would it cost to get done ya think\

Honestly? No idea. I have 2 friends with blasters that are nice enough to let me use theirs. How many bikes do you have/plan to own in your lifetime? Maybe worth investing in one?

After degreasing, a piece of stiff foam pad the thickness of the fin space with sandpaper U'ed around it works well, the best thing I have found yet. Does top, bottom, and base at the same time, quick and even.

After degreasing, a piece of stiff foam pad the thickness of the fin space with sandpaper U'ed around it works well, the best thing I have found yet. Does top, bottom, and base at the same time, quick and even.

You're talking about that stiff molding foam? or soft lawnmower intake filter foam?

Just trying to give him reference to what kind of foam you're talking about.

Go to Menards or Home Depot and get a bag full of the cheap foam paint brushes. They come in a variety of different sizes. They are great for cleaning and getting into small spaces.

I am sure you could probably find a fairly descent compressor off craigslist. You can pick up sand blasting gun for like 15 bucks. If you can get 100 psi your good to go. Might have to take small breaks depending on the compressor but it beats doing it all by hand. I used walnut shell on mine worked really good

Back