Clutch issue?

RVA804

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just replaced the brake shoes on my 81' special and now the bike can actually roll! The only problem I am having is the rear wheel will lock up when I roll it forward and backward in neutral (yes, it is in neutral). Now, if I pull the clutch in then there is no issue! I can pull the clutch in with the bike in any gear and I am able to roll the bike. Neutral just isn't disengaging the clutch enough. Is the bike safe to ride, is this a problem?

Have you had this bike running recently? If you put the bike on the center stand and select neutral can the rear wheel be turned freely by hand? If you start the motor while on the stand does the problem still exist? Have you had the gearbox apart recently? I can understand the clutch not working properly if the bike has stood for a while because the plates can stick together. But this sounds like the gear selector is not selecting neutral hence the clutch lever being pulled in makes the problem go away. I would start the motor on the stand and run through the gears to see if things loosen up. Apart from this it is a mystery to me but clearly neutral is not getting selected from with what you are describing because the gears are staying meshed together.

Just saw your latest comment. One of the Gurus can best advise you here as I have never dealt with gear box/selector issues. Hold on for the experts. Do not try starting motor because there may be something broken in there.

Just saw your latest comment. One of the Gurus can best advise you here as I have never dealt with gear box/selector issues. Hold on for the experts. Do not try starting motor because there may be something broken in there.
Thank you!

Without having bike in front of me two things come to mind. There is a neutral detent on the motor and it has a slot in it to set the gear box in neutral and hold it there. That could be a issue. Then you have the shift forks and shift arm and either one of those could be the issue. When you put the bike into neutral and move it forward and backward and it looks up its jumping into gear. There are many threads on here about this but if you have no idea of what you are looking for find someone in your area that has worked on a XS650.

As you roll it back and forth push the shift lever down. Once you hit first gear it will not push down very much, now pull the lever up a bit, this should be neutral.
If your neutral light lights no matter what gear your in check the sky blue wire that runs from the neutral light down to the neutral switch on top of the transmission. If it has a frayed spot that touches ground, the light will light. Power goes to the neutral light on the brown wire, then runs from the light down to the neutral switch on a sky blue wire. In neutral the switch grounds the sky blue wire lighting the light. Any shorts to ground on the sky blue wire lights the neutral light.
Finding neutral as I first described will find neutral even with the key switch turned off.
I don't recall the exact reason but even in neutral as you roll the bike backwards there is something about the kick start that binds when you roll backwards. The kick start works by engaging gears in the tranny to turn the tranny main shaft that turns the clutch hub that turns the outer clutch basket that engages the gear on the crankshaft. As you roll the bike backwards the gears engage and try to spin the kick start backwards.
This has no effect on the kick start or e-start.
This won't prevent safe operation of the bike.
Leo

Back