clutch plate spring screws

Our XSs have the wonderful Japanese Industrial screw fasteners.JIS. Not quite a Philips screw and thats why they can be a booger to get out. I stripped out one of the clutch screws and ending up using a dremel to cut one screw head into a slotted screw head and it came right out. You can buy JIS bits for pretty cheap and for me it has made a difference. That hand impact IS a valuable tool too.

Our XSs have the wonderful Japanese Industrial screw fasteners.JIS. Not quite a Philips screw and thats why they can be a booger to get out. I stripped out one of the clutch screws and ending up using a dremel to cut one screw head into a slotted screw head and it came right out. You can buy JIS bits for pretty cheap and for me it has made a difference. That hand impact IS a valuable tool too.

i thought they looked slightly different than a phillips head, good to know

#2 JIS can be found #3 JIS not so easy. I have a bunch of the #2 JIS bits but really find little problem with regular #2 bits or screw drivers IF they aren't worn out. A bit that has run 20 or 30 drywall screws is no tool for carb work.
Guess this is as good of place as any. I have made a point of watching people using screw drivers and the problem is nearly always lack of downward pressure while twisting. These clutch screws are a special problem. But on carbs for example; if the carb body is well supported and I can get my body weight on the screw driver while twisting, the screws come out with a normal screw driver every time. If needed a light hammer rap on the end of the screw driver both sets the bit and jars the threads. While bearing down and twisting I can feel the "tink" when the threads release. UNLESS a PO has fuggled the head. Then a hand impact driver really helps. Again hammer tap the bit into the screw head before using the impact tool. This same technique nearly assures jets coming out of the ugliest bodies too.

i'd get my own, i use the thing constantly on my 650

48&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

pick one up max $20

Just be sure that when you use that impact driver you don't smack your shin. I think I had a bone chip floating around after I missed and had a limp for about a week.

Pumps, that is good to know and really explains why I tried every bit I had and several were close, but none were a perfect fit. Where do you get the JIS bits?

bdholsin, ouch! That sounds like something I would do!

Bought a #3 3/8 drive bit from the Mac tool guy yesterday to use on my impact driver and it worked great for the first 3 screws then shattered on the 4th. For $16 hopefully he will warranty it. Also ask him about the jis bits and he said he never herd of them

Most of the hand impact tools will fit well enough the work ok. Once you get them out, drill them for allen bolts.
Harbor Freight has a nice one with a plasitic handle with a large flange around the end you hit. Protects the fingers. Might even protect your shins.
Leo

Back