Clutch pushrod question

Ran up 60 miles today and the clutch definitely has more sensitivity to it rather than the old ON/OFF type feel. When stopped there is a good inch of movement in the handle from when the clutch first starts to bite until fully engaged. Pulled the new rod and observed no undesirable wear so pleased with that.

MaxPete - 1000.

In Entry 40 I described how my pushrod was made. I mentioned that the bushing end was made from mild steel. Well, here we are nearly a month later and several 100 miles on the pushrod. To my surprise the mild steel is showing the same wear pattern as observed by dps650rider on his 6061T6 pushrod. See Entry 66 of link below:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-pushrod-experiment-tidbits.32267/page-4#post-346720

The polished mild steel cannot take the treatment it experiences in the solid bronze bushing I fitted. No other damage was noted anywhere else on the pushrod, even where the ball bearings contact. A friend of mine is going to give me a piece of silver steel to replace the mild steel end with - Perhaps I should have gone for the 8.8 bolt steel instead.

Last edited:
Paul, there *is* a scenario where a piece of steel can be abraded by brass/bronze, and that's if a harder abrasive material gets imbedded in the brass/bronze, an occasionally used method to fine-finish steel parts. So now, the question becomes "Is there abrasive material in the bushing, and where did it come from?"...

Note sure of what did the damage. However, the pattern is the same as seen on dps650rider's 6061 and that on the old two piece pushrod. The difference being the old pushrod only has a surface blemish whereas the DIY mild steel is a definitely showing wear. I will explore further to see what may have happened.

Update - I rebuilt my DIY pushrod. The mild steel end connecting with the worm mechanism had shown wear against the bronze bush. This came away quite easily when heated to approximately 250 - 300 Celsius to release the Loctite 648. I made a replacement part from silver steel rod pre-ground to 7.94mm. This was then heated to a dull red and quenched into oil. A scrape with a file confirmed that the section to contact the bronze bush had hardened. The silver steel was then re-polished and pressed onto the aluminium rod using Loctite 648. After 100 miles I checked the rod and it showed no wear to the hardened silver steel. Clearly mild steel was a poor choice to begin with. A search in relation to bronze bushes indicates that a hardened steel is the preferred choice.

Last edited:
Back