Compatable parts?

Juice23

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first build. I was recently given a 83 dropseat xs650 frame, motor, and a few parts. I have no forks, wheels, or wiring harness. I am having trouble finding a parts bike in my area. Are any other models compatable? Or is it xs650 or nothing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On the forks all the 74 up forks are a straight up bolt on. The later 77 up are the 35 mm forks and use the more modern brakes. I would reccomend these.
All the wheels from 73 up will fit fine. Early are 19 front, 18 rear spoked flanged alloy rims. In 79 they used a 16 spoked drum rear wheel on the Special II. with alloy rims without the flanges.
In late 78 they went to mags, 16 rear 19 inch front. The first years of the mags were disc brake. 81 was a one year only drum mag. In 82 the went back to spokes but had 48 spoke 16 rears with 64 spoke 19 front. Steel chrome rims.
With a bit of serarching around you will find many threads on using forks off other bikes. Some are a simple swap others include a lot of mods to work.
Leo

Back