• Little time

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • a lot of time

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
I need to refill and go over anything that would be considered a "tune up" to my 79 650xs. I can't find much even on the bolt for the oil change. Can I maybe get a step by step for changing all of the fluids? even the brake fluid. Because one of the fixes for my project is replacing the front brake line. please note that this is my first project bike and I only know the basics of running a bike, I'm completely new to rebuilding.

Everything you need is in the tech section and use the search option too...
Not everything is in the tech section. I didn't see anything referring to specifically changing the oil or which bolt is the plug for it. The tasks I need to do to this bike are put 1 spoke back on the back tire, replace the whole front wheel brake line, remove a minimal amount of rust in the gas tank (already being done) change ALL fluids, new ignition system, and then add back on the front and back blinkers. Also, I found rust and other miscellaneous fragments inside my brake fluid container today, didn't see much in the tech session for that either. Believe me when I say I fully respect and love the organization and setup of the tech section, I'm using several posts from it to do what I've done today and will do tomorrow and so on. But not exactly "everything" is on it, so I just do what I can to get info I guess haha.

Hi Grimmith,
like they said, buy a manual. A Haynes or a Clymer will do. (or a pukka Yamaha manual if you can find an affordable used copy)
Rear wheel spoke repacement:-
If the spoke head is inside the flange it'll go in easy. If the spoke head is outside the flange the spoke will have to be bent into
a half-circle to install and be straightened a little at a time during insertion. (BTDT & formulated several new formats of obscenity)
Oil drain plugs. There's two of them. Takes a 27mm (1-1/16") A/F wrench. Long box-end or socket. May need an air-impact wrench to shift them.
Brake lines. Use DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid to clean the parts.
Now is the best time to upgrade to stainless steel lines and an 11mm diameter master cylinder.
Whaddya mean "new ignition system"? You gonna fix up the points or put a fortune into an aftermarket ignition?

The factory shop manual is online for free here. Most of us think it's the best .....

http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service main.html

You should be able to make do with this until you can track down a paper copy. Watch eBay, a nice used factory manual can usually be had for around $20 if you're patient. Read chapter 2 (Periodic Adjustments). That covers most of the tune-up stuff and the oil change. But what it doesn't seem to mention is the sump filter on the bottom of the engine. You will want to clean and inspect that. They commonly develop tears and need to be replaced or patched.

Not everything is in the tech section. I didn't see anything referring to specifically changing the oil or which bolt is the plug for it. The tasks I need to do to this bike are put 1 spoke back on the back tire, replace the whole front wheel brake line, remove a minimal amount of rust in the gas tank (already being done) change ALL fluids, new ignition system, and then add back on the front and back blinkers. Also, I found rust and other miscellaneous fragments inside my brake fluid container today, didn't see much in the tech session for that either. Believe me when I say I fully respect and love the organization and setup of the tech section, I'm using several posts from it to do what I've done today and will do tomorrow and so on. But not exactly "everything" is on it, so I just do what I can to get info I guess haha.

Hi Grimmith, if you need to know which sump plug to pull out there is two, I drain and clean filters every 1000 miles, that requires undoing the six bolts that hold the plate which holds the filter...and the two bolts that hold the filter. You do know there is two filters?
When I said "EVERYTHING" I probably meant everything that is needed for what you were looking for is there, some of the older members know shit loads more than me, but i did rebuild my engine from scratch, used the manuals / parts list which has the all important drawings in it, they show how the multitude of parts that fit in sequence. I work in a bikeshop, rebuilding old Norton's and Triumphs, they are way more complex than our beloved XS650's, when you come up against something you don't know, use your brain, figure out how it works.....
If you find that you need a step by step instruction manual...I don't think there is one, i've never seen it anyway for the 650,
If you have trouble looking for "everything" ask, if you have fragments in the brake reservoir, my suggestion for brakes, re build the master cylinder / re-sleave it, clean lines / replace if needed, strip the callipers, inspect and put a seal kit through it. Make sure the seals are on the pistons the right way for both master cylinder and brake callipers!
Now you will have safe brakes that you repaired (assuming that you have done the repairs correctly).
Mate, if you need a hand ask...I will help you, and I am sure the others will to...

Mick

Not everything is in the tech section. Also, I found rust and other miscellaneous fragments inside my brake fluid container today, didn't see much in the tech session for that either. But not exactly "everything" is on it, so I just do what I can to get info I guess haha.

Mastercylinder.............Tech Menu............Brakes............How to rebuild master-cylinder...............http://www.xs650.com/threads/master-cylinder-rebuilding.7862/

Yes you do need to look....................manual is a must. 5twins has pointed out biker.net ...........There are a heap more parts and full manuals https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/tag/manual/ . The 77D manual will cover just about every thing for your 79. Great pics up until the 78-80 manual and supplements

Chilton's Yamaha 650 Repair & Tune-up guide 1970-1979 has a very good 18x page Tune-Up Guide at the front with specifications and adjustments. It also has a 20 page maintenance guide and 12 page Troubleshooting guide .Its a useful addition if you can get one at a reasonable price.
Chilton's also produced a 2x and 4 stroke Motorcycle troubleshooting Guide manual which is excellent. Most of the examples used in the book use the yamaha XS650

I made up a thread just for such people as yourself. has the 75XSB Yamaha manual converted to Jpeg files and posted. All engine specs, charging system and ignition system will be relevant to a points model bike. here is the thread it is posted as a sticky in the "Garage", http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/ Take some time and read right through the 3 pages and links.

How to change the oil........ http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/ scroll down to post #7, last file posted. Pics included

Last edited:
Second link is the same as the first........................edited the second............. Thanks Wer

Back