Confusing info on chain / sprocket sizing

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
Ready to get a chain and a new front sprocket but after searching here for info,,I am really confused as to which to buy.
The engine I have is from 1982,,and the teeth on the sprocket are curved and some actually are missing the tops. So I need a replacement,, which to get?
Also do I need the 520 or the 530 chain?
And with that,,, will the rear sprocket support use of either of these 2 choices?
The rear rim/tire and related parts I got from GGGary and am unsure of the year but it is a drum brake model.
I have the bike out now to have the Power Dynamo ignition and wiring for the lights done. Hope to be riding it soon.
0313171528a_HDR.jpg

Hi 'fred,
Agricultural/industrial chain is specified by it's pitch length in 1/8" increments so 50 series Ag chain has 5/8" pitch.
Bike chain uses the same pitch numbers but unlike Ag chain it comes in different roller widths also designated in 1/8" increments.
So 520 chain has 1/4" width rollers, 525 chain has 5/16" width rollers and 530 chain (dimensionally identical to 50 Ag chain) has 3/8" width rollers.
But wait! There's more! Bike chain comes with normal (identical to Ag chain) or Heavy (H-D chain) or sealed (H-D with O-rings or X-rings) side plates.
Your options are 520 or 530 sprockets and your choice of chains to match.
I'd not advise using your existing rear wheel sprocket unless it's in eff nigh perfect shape
as I reckon chain & sprockets are best replaced as a set.
And if it's tooth count is what you want and if it's 3/8" thick a 530 chain is all that will run on it.
Although I'd go with 530 chain and sprockets anyway.
520's weight saving is hardly worth the slight cost saving and it wears quicker too.
Tooth count? I'd say 17T/33T is about right for most riding.
But chain choice? I'd use an O-ring chain and fit a ScottOiler. Others would buy a 10-foot pack of Ag chain for $20 and squirt used engine oil on it now and then.
The choice is yours.
And is your sprocket as worn as my VF750F horror story?IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:
Stock chain size was 530 and stock length was 104 links. You appear to have an extended hardtail there so you will probably need a longer chain. Aftermarket chains are usually sold in 10 link increments (100, 110, 120, etc.). I would think you'd need at least a 120, maybe even a 130. Maybe someone with an extended hardtail will chime in here and tell you what they used.

Stock sprocket sizes were 17 tooth front and 34 tooth rear. Some Canadian Specials came with a 36 tooth rear. European Standard models came with a 33 tooth rear. With your 16" rear wheel, a 32 tooth would work well.

Don't use standard industrial chain on a motorcycle. If it were that easy, all motorcycles would come standard using industrial chain. there is a very good reason that high tensile strength motorcycle chain is used on motorcycles. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.
I run 520 o-ring chain, and it works very well. I hardly ever have to adjust it because it wears so little, and I replace it every 2 years even though it is far from worn.

Don't use standard industrial chain on a motorcycle. If it were that easy, all motorcycles would come standard using industrial chain. there is a very good reason that high tensile strength motorcycle chain is used on motorcycles. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.
I run 520 o-ring chain, and it works very well. I hardly ever have to adjust it because it wears so little, and I replace it every 2 years even though it is far from worn.

Hi james,
but it IS that easy. Just buy a ten-foot pack of #50 Ag chain for $20, cut off 104 links and install it.
One pack makes two chains and a bit left over which can go on the next chain if you ain't fussed at running two joining links.
Got an e-buddy been doing this for decades and can't be persuaded that it's costs more money in the long run.
YES OF COURSE it ain't the best thing to do because Ag chain ain't too sturdy and don't last very long.
It's what you do if you are so strapped for cash that you can't afford good chain.

Bike Chains are bike chains for a reason.............That reason is the chain is rated for bike use. ..............putting on any old ag chain is an accident waiting to happen when the chain snaps due to being used for the wrong reason.....................Of course we all have stories about that other guy who does this or that and suposidly gets away with it....................The reality is it is you and your bike. If safety is not a concern do what ever you like..............But.........always a but........

I read your post, you are very concerned about doing the right thing for your own safety, (or you would have used that sprocket), so do not listen to stories about that other guy, buy a good quality chain...................

jamesgs4's advice would be worth listening to be cause he does extensive miles on his bike, not just down to the coffee shop but across deserts and such............

I have run AG rated chain. Even when well oiled AG chains wear quickly. They also excessively wear sprockets.
I run o-ring chains. They require a bit less maintenance. I use a wax based Chain lube. Chain Wax by Maxima Racing by brand. Others are out there. I appl it just after a ride when chain is warm. As the chain cools It draws more of the lube in between the links.
Your bike being a bit lighter than stock using a bit higher ratio won't hurt, as others a 17F and a 33R or even 32R will work ok. There is a formula for figuring out just how long a chain needs to be. It uses distance between sprockets and sprocket size to determine length.
It's easier to get a long chain 120 or so , slide rear wheel all the way forward, install chain on front, wrap the rear half way around the sprocket with one end , wrap other end around from the other way. It will overlap. Where they over lap cut the chain so two inners links lay on the sprocket next to each other. This will give you a bit too much slack, but that's ok, you can move the wheel back to adjust this slack. If you can't remove the slack you need to cut more links off.
Not as hard as this sounds. Once you have done this, you will see.
You have it out having others working on it? Must be nice to have lots of money.
Leo

THANK YOU ALL for all the help here.
I ordered from Lowbrow a 530 size that is 130 links long,,it comes with 2 masters too.
For 60 bucks,, I feel pretty safe. Gonna pick up a replacement front sprocket and see how it all goes together.
Just feel safer buying a chain made for the purpose..

I have it out getting the wiring done because ,,
1,, I am colorblind and 60 years old. lmao
2,, My time to work on it is limited coz I take care of my parents and a huge yard and work full time in a profession that is quite stressful.
Everything else I have done except the body work and paint,,for obvious reasons

Back