Could use help finding dual sport tires.

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have 130/90/16 rear, 100/90/19 front. i would like to find a set of dual sport tires. the only thing i can come up with are TrailWings for the 16'' rear,19''front. i like the way they look , but after reading on here. not sure i want to get them. Are they that bad? If i did not go with a dual sport i would like to go with the fattest tire i could get on the front(without modification). Could you guys point me in the right direction?

This is what I used in the rear. I looked up some reviews on the adventure touring site and people seem to like them. Good bang for the buck and really low price. I've put a couple hundred miles on mine and I have no complaints. I regularly ride through round-abouts at a brisk speed and these stick to the road real nice.

http://veerubberusa.com/motorcycle/viewsize.php?Pname=vrm163

I used a Kenda K761 100/90/19 for the front because I wasn't sure if the Vee Rubber 90/100/19 side wall would be too tall for my fender.

I was about 2 seconds from going the Kenda k761 route... they look incredible,
poorman9 has a thread on here and his bike has them check it out they do look great IMHO

I just bought Kenda Challengers and have them mounted but not ridden yet so no opinion there. I was also looking at Bridgestone Battlax, they also fit stock rim sizes.

Here's a list of those I've found to be successful in both fit and function. The Duro is the most aggressive of the 16" rear options in dirt. I think that there is now also one from Continental but; I do not have the details or any experience with it. Blue

Attachments

• DUAL SPORT TIRES.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 507
I am glad to see others going the dual sport route. When my XS was my sole motorcyle I was very impressed with it's dirt road capabilities... I am converting it to be my adventure motorcycle with supertrapp spark arrestors and dirt tires. I am using a CONTINENTAL TWINDURO TKC80 90/100-19 tire for the front and a Vee Rubber VRM-163 120/90-16 TL (tubeless) tire for the rear. The 120 width fills out the rim nicely - plenty wide.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 1353465290-picsay.jpg
    1353465290-picsay.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 830
  • 1353465469-picsay.jpg
    1353465469-picsay.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 1353465569-picsay.jpg
    1353465569-picsay.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 450
I am glad to see others going the dual sport route. When my XS was my sole motorcyle I was very impressed with it's dirt road capabilities... I am converting it to be my adventure motorcycle with supertrapp spark arrestors and dirt tires. I am using a CONTINENTAL TWINDURO TKC80 90/100-19 tire for the front and a Vee Rubber VRM-163 120/90-16 TL (tubeless) tire for the rear. The 120 width fills out the rim nicely - plenty wide.

Posted via Mobile

i love the look of the dual sport tires! with everybody talking about how you will die if you use bridgestone trail wings haha.i was kinda undiced on the whole thing. my bike was not built for corners, or long rides. So i figured why not. i was hoping to find a matching brand front and back. the only thing i can come up with is the VEE RUBBER-VRM 163. or the TRAILWINGS-TW40. I like the look of both!

What are you thoughts on VEE RUBBER vrm163 front and back?

Go with the Vee Rubber. I suppose you can get the 90/100/19 up front to match.

The pattern isn't too meaty and won't totally eat up the tread on normal roads like the more aggressive dual sports.

For the price, they are hardly a heavy investment if you don't like how they ride.

Vee Rubber on the rear. Kenda up front

IMAG0353-1.jpg

Very Nice bike! I have taken the center stand off mine and am replacing it with a bash plate.

I would try the Vee Rubber front, it would match, and it is tubeless but I already had the TKC. Eventually perhaps. The Vee Rubber comes in an odd size though... 90/100−19 rather than 100/90−19... Maybe that's a typo from the factory? I look forward to seeing one.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks! It's a rolling work in progress.

I've grown fond of the center stand even though it kills ground clearance. It's so nice to have for quick maintenance.

You cant see it in the pic but I am running a TW42 120/90/16 on the rear. I think Trailwings get a bad reputation because a lot of riders use them past the limits of a dual-sport tire. I have had them on a few bikes and they wear like iron but I have to admit they pretty much suck in the rain. This outfit sees its share of off road adventures and I have yet to be stuck yet.
100_1361.jpg

I am going to mount a dual sport tire on the front as well this winter as well.

On your center stand, You can take it off, but leave the mounts. When you want it just bolt it back on without the spring, Do what you need to do and then remove it. Best of both worlds.
Limpy, the Kenda Challengers aren't really a dual sport tire. They are a not to expencive tire that has grip well above it's price. They don't notice tar snakes or grooved roads at all, the rain don't bother them much either. They are made of a softer compound so the good grip but wear quickly.
Expect 5-6000 miles on the rear, a bit more on the front.
Leo

The bridgestone TWs are on sale at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Rears: 120-90-16 = $87
Front: 90-100-19 = $78

Does anyone know if that's a good price or not. I can't for the life of me find them anywhere else.

The Trailwing 16" is a hard tire to find . I found mine on Ebay for around $65 including shipping. I think its the factory tire for a Honda NX-650.

I ended up with a Shinko 705 on the front. After reading some reviews I decided it was a better fit for the type of riding I do. Doubt it will last as long as a Trailwing but it was only $52.

The Trailwing 16" is a hard tire to find . I found mine on Ebay for around $65 including shipping. I think its the factory tire for a Honda NX-650.

I ended up with a Shinko 705 on the front. After reading some reviews I decided it was a better fit for the type of riding I do. Doubt it will last as long as a Trailwing but it was only $52.

What size Shinko 705 did you put on the front?

My bike is a '74 TX650A that came to me with a 100/90-19 Kenda Challenger on the front. I'd like to keep using my stock fender and I like the look of the Shinko 705, but the closest size I've seen is 110/80-19. Will that work?

What size Shinko 705 did you put on the front?

My bike is a '74 TX650A that came to me with a 100/90-19 Kenda Challenger on the front. I'd like to keep using my stock fender and I like the look of the Shinko 705, but the closest size I've seen is 110/80-19. Will that work?

110/80-19 was the size I used. A little taller/wider than the OEM tire but it fit fine.

Back