Crimping Tools

...30 minutes of un restricted time to shop around in TwoManyXS's garage!

Haha, lol. That'd be a record.
Most folks never make it outta there in under 4 hours.

You may need a "distraction" to accomplish that. I'd be willing to be the "distractor" for 50%...

I may be cheap, but I'm easy.

And, easily distracted...

...I don't remember who told me the tip, but it was a good one to slightly bend in one of the insulation prongs before crimping the wire. It helped make a tighter crimp...

Good tip. Yes, the prongs are usually initially spread out too wide to fit the crimp.
Maybe from this thread?

http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/

You are THE MAN 2M!
I used to tell my father and I say it to you with all respect. You have probably forgotten more than I will ever know.
Even though many of your tech threads sail right over my head, I read it all. Hoping to soak up just a little bit of knowledge.
Rock on brother!

He!! - I'll wear a bikini and a wig...

Egads! Where's the eyebleach!

OK, but please don't use the gender specific marked restrooms...

They're not marked, but you do have your choice of the oak trees, or the cedars.

...You have probably forgotten more than I will ever know....

I knew it! That's the first positive confirmation of alt...alz...altzheinie...mers...

...Rock on brother!

Yew betcha, Mailman.

The rocks out there are for the gender confused...

Not that I don't have any sympathy, but I've been wondering lately.........what happens if a transgender is in the restroom of their choice and they suddenly have a change of mind.......what happens then?

Scott

Edit, Topic, I like soldered connectors. On the Walmart, hardware store connectors I remove the insulation, crimp, solder and cover with shrink tube. But I gotta say, I've never had an unsoldered factory connector go bad at the crimp.

Last edited:
Got my crimping tool today. It was cheap at £12, but not the cheapest available. I chose this particular pair because the photograph suggested it had nicely formed crimping surfaces. On inspection the surfaces appear to have been polished smooth and look symmetrical. I have tested them out and the results really impressed me. The advice given above regarding doubling over thin wires works extremely well, even for my thicker 21 Amp wire - Thank you Everyone.
Crimp.jpg

Got my crimping tool today. It was cheap at £12, but not the cheapest available. I chose this particular pair because the photograph suggested it had nicely formed crimping surfaces. On inspection the surfaces appear to have been polished smooth and look symmetrical. I have tested them out and the results really impressed me. The advice given above regarding doubling over thin wires works extremely well, even for my thicker 21 Amp wire - Thank you Everyone.
View attachment 96236

Looks really good Paul - that should work well.

Pete

Here's a good clicky clicky.
8d510b20068b8f4152d57ce818c855bb.image.350x350.jpg

proskit.com I bought a frame with flag terminal dies for less than $30. Die sets are $15-$20.

Having crimped away to tidy up some projects, and even had to thicken some wires with shrink wrap as suggested above, I have met an issue. I set out to replace a damaged bullet connector on the harness and when I stripped the insulation I noticed that the 36 year old wires have tarnished quite badly. What should I do before crimping on a new bullet? Is it acceptable to fan the wires out and rub them gently with fine sandpaper or is there a better pre-clean????

Thank you for any advice.

Having crimped away to tidy up some projects, and even had to thicken some wires with shrink wrap as suggested above, I have met an issue. I set out to replace a damaged bullet connector on the harness and when I stripped the insulation I noticed that the 36 year old wires have tarnished quite badly. What should I do before crimping on a new bullet? Is it acceptable to fan the wires out and rub them gently with fine sandpaper or is there a better pre-clean????

Thank you for any advice.

The bad news is that it's going to be tough to get rid of. The good news is that you can buy a brand new harness. I think that's a good option. Hopefully, the stuff you're plugging into isn't all corroded. I'm dealing with some of these issues myself, only the new harness option isn't available.

As an interesting side note, airplanes have tin plated wire, to keep it from corroding. If I were building a harness, I'd prefer to use that.

Back