Cross country trip from Chicago to LA

photojon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I and a couple friends have decided to take a couple weeks off this spring to ride from Chicago to LA. I spent the past 2 weeks planning out the route. Route 80 to Route 76, then to Route 70, then 70 to RT 15 and in to LA.

Since I've ridden my 650 I average 150 -160 miles to a tank highway, far less in the city. Im running stock airbox, exhaust, and stock rear gear. Im thinking of adding new XS PWK performance carbs, open up the exhaust but still run a muffle of some sort, then switch to a rear gear from 34 to a 30 tooth ( or 32 tooth still cant decided).

To get over the problem of carrying too much gear ( clothes, sleeping gear, tools, food). I have found out that shipping everything to each of my 3 stop destinations would be easier. Ship ahead of time, stop change clothes, shower, sleep, and then wash clothes and leave them there for the return journey. On the return trip I will repeat the process and ship my clothes back home. If all goes well, the only items I will plan to carry will be tools, duct tape, rain gear, bungee cords, and a couple replacement parts just in case I have an issue. ( I also hear bringing a roll of picture wire can come in handy)

I am posting this to share what my plan is, I will post my google maps trip planner soon, this way anyone that is on our route we welcome you to either join us, or at least ride with us for a bit.

I am also calling upon anyone who has experience with long cross country rides, what words of wisdom can you give to us.

Make sure your alternator is in great condition. Leave the pipes alone. The noise will wear on you after a few hundred miles. Bring an extra throttle and clutch cable along with an extra quart of oil. Bring any extra bulbs you have laying around and of course a good pack of fuses. You'll need 10, 12, 14, 22mm and 27mm wrenches along with a metric hex set and a pliers.

Dont forget to pack some Monkey Butt Powder. Your arse will be raw at the end of the first day!
Seriously, good riding gear is a must. Full face helmet, good gloves, and a jacket that is waterproof and has removable layers.
Be mentally and physicaly ready for a break down - it's all part of the journey.
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Have FUN!

Thanks for advise. I will have to purchase at the least a couple extra cables just in case someone else snaps one. And fuses, I cant forget those. I just removed my old fuse box with glass fuses, and replaced it with plastic push-in fuses. so bring a extra box of fuses, check. Bike messenger in Chicago, calloused butt is a check. The alternator is almost brand new. but cant hurt to have it checked out before i go.

Here is the map of how we are riding there. The check marks are possible gas stations. There are alot more stops for when we get to the rockies and in utah, just cause I have no idea how it will fair in high altitude with the fuel economy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g&mra=mivtw&t=m&z=5

What you describe would work, but what I did was roughly follow Robert Pirsig's strategy of stuff to take since it was minimal and proven (and easier to do than to think it out...) For example, he took the factory tool kit plus a torque wrench. He took one change of clothes plus a "tuxedo". I have two changes of clothing, since he took one for his son I assume, and I'm by myself. My tuxedo is actually French army dress pants made of wool, so I can use them as warm underwear or to wear to be semi-dressed up. Since I went south instead of north like I was planning to, I wouldn't have been able to pick up the supplies drops anyway. You can buy new stuff along the way, selling your old stuff before you leave home if you want. Instead of the hassle of shipping clothes, just buy new ones if you need them. You'll discover you need other things that you end up buying too. I intended to spend a while doing it, you might be going to do it in three or four days.

have a plan for snow and ice on the road in Colorado mountains during the spring.

The shipping of clothes came to be the easiest way to stay clean and fresh, $10 to ship each change of clothes, one to denver, 2 to Las Vegas, and 5 to Los Angeles, My Tux will be shipped to Vegas, Then packed up and ride with me to LA dry cleaned and worn again. The Venetian is willing to clean my laundry and hold it for six days till I come back. Ive stayed there before. To split up the tools and parts among the people going makes it easier to carry.

Plus im looking for a new riding jacket. If anyone has any recommendations on a nice leather jacket with removable layers please send me a link. That or Ill just keep mine and pack with layers.

How much snow and Ice are we talking about? and how long does it last into spring?

Last edited:
Wow, I checked out the google map link you put up and clicked on the little guy next to each direction to see pics of each step. Very cool man, I am very impressed with your ambition to do such a trip. How long do you guys plan on riding each day, and how long do think the whole trip out will take? Also, TAKE PICTURES! You might have the thread of the year when you get home! Ride safe, good luck:)

If I were you I would take a Northern California route to San Francisco down Highway 1 to Los Angeles. It is longer but what a ride.

snow and ice can be a hazard until around may/June in the high country. it really isn't predictable, but I would have a backup route just in case. most likely it will be clear, but spring snow isnt uncommon.

Yeah my friends that live in Evergreen tell me that it will probably be cold when I get there. So it will be a one stop in Denver/ Evergreen on my way to LA, On my way back I could take the old RT66 back home, or the northern Cali route. It will take longer, but like tonyc has said its a good ride. Plus if its warmer i can go faster make up time. Problem is my first route is made possible by the friends I have that live in the states I need to stop in.

Second I willbe keeping everyone posted on our trip. There will be at least 3 blogs that will tracking our progress. Plus Nikon has just released the D800E. Cant wait to get it. It will be with me documenting the whole trip

If you arced up a little further north you could go through Jackson, WY and the Tetons, and then down Hwy 1 on the coast. But they're telling me Jackson is real touristy and x-gamey. But real pretty. A route between the two would take you to Slab City, I think. That's more my speed...

Why aren't you taking the mother road?
People come from the world wide to do it.
The pwk's will knock that mpg down and require more tuning along the way.

Why aren't you taking the mother road?
People come from the world wide to do it.
The pwk's will knock that mpg down and require more tuning along the way.

yes the stock CV carbs will operate better with the changes in altitude you'll be doing, and you won't have the jetting headaches, perfect jetting at Chicago is going to be crap in the mountains

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Do get the best rainsuit you can afford along with an electric vest to keep you warm and dry. I ran a vest on my '79 with no problems.
If your bike is running good, I wouldn't change anything. Put new tires, chain and sprockets on it and service it before you go and check/replace wheel bearings, put the new cables on now and no worries there.
I wouldn't ship clothes along the way, but maybe to my destination. It would be a drag to end a hard day's ride only to find your stuff isn't there. Most places have washer/dryer if needed. I just take old socks and underwear and throw them away when rancid.
It's a long ride, so be patient with the others (someone is gonna get cranky) and try to keep focused on your riding and your surroundings. Colorado is a beautiful place, so you will be rubbernecking. It's a long ride so pace yourself and enjoy the trip. :thumbsup:
Mick

I have skied in Reno on St. Patty's Day before.

The idea of the ride from San Fran to LA sounds great too. I know the Ride from Reno to San Fran is unbelievably picturesque. It is like riding in a old Bob Ross painting!

Back