Deal of the year... Maybe...

Without checking the vin.
The 81's had mags with a drum brake.
The 82's were the all black version of the Heritage Special with bazillion spoke wheels.
Ride and work on it first(it may not be what you thought) before cutting if you are so inclined.

When you say "special" do you mean heritage special? Is there a year Xs that's more sought after than others? Or a year to run away from?

For sure there are some years that are sought after and I'd say, just as a rule of thumb, that any of them that came with an 18" rear wheel and are cherry are bikes to think twice about keeping stock.

The buckhorn bars, shorty exhaust, stepped seat, 16" rear-wheeled psuedo-choppers of the last model years, IMHO are perfect bikes to do anything you want to with. There is no aesthetic to preserve and they are mechanically sound.

You really should just try to flip this bike if all your looking for is something to cut up. Find a cheap $500 titled basket case and work with that. Your going to be throwing away most of the bike anyways so its not worth it to get a good condition bike.

I don't know about that. You're not going to throw away good clean parts, they will find a home on Ebay or Craig's list. And a low mile bike is a lot better starting point than a hi-mile bike.

25 years in a barn can easily send a bike past the point of no return restoration wise.
I bought a 1600 mile KZ1300 one time, it was toast after years in a Pennsylvania barn. Hardly a useable part anywhere on it. Even the aluminum castings were so deeply corroded they were beyond clean up. Even in a dry barn, bird shit can destroy a bike.
Hope yours is a keeper.

For sure there are some years that are sought after and I'd say, just as a rule of thumb, that any of them that came with an 18" rear wheel and are cherry are bikes to think twice about keeping stock.

The buckhorn bars, shorty exhaust, stepped seat, 16" rear-wheeled psuedo-choppers of the last model years, IMHO are perfect bikes to do anything you want to with. There is no aesthetic to preserve and they are mechanically sound.

Thank you for the info.... Im not sure about the specs on this bike... still very new to the xs world.....if it were a Sportster (my other hobbie) id teach a class!

If someone wants to PM me their phone number or an email address, I could text you the pics I have on my phone or email. IM sure you guys will know as soon as you see it if its a run of the mill or anything worth keeping stock. I just cant post pics tot he forum from my Iphone

Thanks

hs1.jpg

hs2.JPG

hs3.PNG

hs4.PNG

A bit of a mish mash but the bike is probably an 83 Heritage Special with seat from another year. tank is different year or a respray. Looks good in the pics but she's been down, might want to see if the forks and front wheel are straight. No way of knowing if the speedo has been with the bike all along.

Thanks for all the help gggGary, how can you tell it been down? My phone is not huge like a computer screen, it's there a big dent or scrapes I missed? Thanks again bud!

There are a lot of parts on that bike that were not in the crate that Yamaha shipped it to America in. My guess is that the insturment cluster is one of them. But, if the frame ain't tweaked (and I doubt that it is since it seems to be sporting the wheels it came with) looks like you have a great platform to play with.

Be careful when making decisions based on some one elses personal preferences.

The standard, (74-79) frames are worth more to the cafe/flat-track style bike because the rear shocks are in a more upright position making the bike a better handler. Here in Aus the Special frame is selling for $300.00-$350.00, a Standard frame $500.00.

The Specials are liked by a lot of people and aesthetically pleasing depends on the individual. They have riding style faults that are remedied easily. They make for a hard-tail style bike just the same as the standard frame because the shocks are done away with but all frames made after 74 are considered the best the XS650 were made with and from 77 and later are better because the front forks were upgraded to 35mm.

Specials are more stable at high speed straight line highway riding and Standards are better for the twisties

Your bike looks to be An 83 Heritage Special, they come out in Black trim and Black Chrome. These were made for the American market

Attachments

• 83 SK  Heritage Special - US -TomDellinger.jpg
    83 SK Heritage Special - US -TomDellinger.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 83 SK heritage Special - US -TomDellinger.jpg
    83 SK heritage Special - US -TomDellinger.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Personally the best for turning into a bratstyle are the 77 and later non-specials. While the rear wheel isn't the best the uprights for the seat rail are symmetrical. The specials have that hinge for the seat. To get it to work they took the left side upright and bend it in an inch or so. Makes for a PITA to put in new seat rails.

I say Unless its pristine now chop or cafe away. That's really the legacy of this bike....a bike that you can make into anything you want.

Back