Deal of the year... Maybe...

Cool. That's my kind of bike. perfect for chopping.

I got my wife's '80 that we chopped into a bratstyle for free w/ title. Well it was more like a thank you for snowblowing an old lady's Tiny driveway...which I was doing for free anyway. All it took to get running was a new battery.

The bikes are still out there for free or near free ($200). I got a '77 for free but had to sell it a few months ago to a friend before moving cross country. All it took to get running was a pamco.

Be careful when making decisions based on some one elses personal preferences.

The standard, (74-79) frames are worth more to the cafe/flat-track style bike because the rear shocks are in a more upright position making the bike a better handler. Here in Aus the Special frame is selling for $300.00-$350.00, a Standard frame $500.00.

The Specials are liked by a lot of people and aesthetically pleasing depends on the individual. They have riding style faults that are remedied easily. They make for a hard-tail style bike just the same as the standard frame because the shocks are done away with but all frames made after 74 are considered the best the XS650 were made with and from 77 and later are better because the front forks were upgraded to 35mm.

Specials are more stable at high speed straight line highway riding and Standards are better for the twisties

Your bike looks to be An 83 Heritage Special, they come out in Black trim and Black Chrome. These were made for the American market

you will note "IMHO" denoting a statement of personal opinion rather than fact.

I would state as fact however that cutting up, say, a show-room quality stock XS-1 will be frowned on by the XS community a lot more than cutting up any XS that was born with a 16" rear wheel.

Why do I think it was down?
Well it's a guess I guess but;
The gauges are tweaked, bent
The tank and seat were replaced.
The rear grab bar is missing
The shift lever is painted black, maybe heated with a torch when they straitened it.
Left foot peg might be bent.
Front fender is missing they always get bent in a dump
Handle bars were replaced with some dirt bake bars
Stock mirrors are gone, the Heritage mirrors were nice units.
No pics of the the RH side.......

Where is the bike? I'm telling you right now I wouldn't pay anymore than 800 or so for that bike around here. It's been fooled around with a little bit. I have 5 XS's in my garage that were bought for under 600 each and they all run. Don't worry about title, they are easy to get in NH.

Check craigslist. Look at this bike for 500...

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3338925956.html

Yeah I'm not to worried about the tank or mirrors or really anything being original, I just want to hard tail it and have a fun project to wrench on and cruise around the city. More or less a bar hopper.

Welp, it's Sunday! I bought it. $640.00 not too shabby. I got a bunch of parts too, seats handle bars sissy bar, exhaust etc. I'm happy.

hs1.jpg

hs2.JPG

hs3.PNG

hs4.PNG

Good deal. I'm going '82 Heritage on this one....clocks, shocks, fork lowers and turn signals blacked out.....mebbe the headlight bucket too- hard to tell. Chrome chain guard might be '82. Standard seat, horizontal line not matching the airbox covers. Rear fender and tail light off an older model. Interesting lower covers. Hey! and the 2 year only elusive 650 cam end covers! You have a good platform to work with, congrats!

Last edited:
So I got it running, pulled off the stupid diamond place cover stickers, I have the original seat and the older seat in the pic. The guy gave me some parts and the stock ones. The taillight asembly is off another year. It will all be chopped off soon enough! I had to fix the pet cock and the tank is spray bombed! I'm happy but of course a 1978-79 running all stock was just posted on craigs in my area for $900 or bo. Today! WTF!

I dont have a compression tester..... I would like to know what shape the motor is in internally. I got some new oil and a filter. My battery is dead so its on the charger at the store I bought it from. As soon as I get it back I can warm it up a lil and change the oil.

Ghetto, you ever make it out to Manch?

Last edited:
Back