Definition Of Pain

tx650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My definition of pain on a 650 is pulling over on the highway on a hot day to check underneath the bike grabbing the header pipe....OOOOWWWWWCCCCHHHH

My definition is using an impact driver (the manual kind you hit with a hammer) to remove the clutch basket and missing with a 3 pound hand sledge and smacking your shin. It dropped me right there and left a bump for three months...not to mention a limp for about 6 weeks.

Didn't happen to me, but my fathers friend ran his finger thru a pulley on his dump truck. Cut it clean off. They put it back on with a pin going right thru the middle. A little piece about half an inch was sticking out of the top of his finger. Unfortunately he released the parking brake on his Ford Ranger and because his finger was stuck in the full pointing position the peddle drove the pin down flush. He just passed out in the seat.

Some years ago I cut off my left index finger just behind the fingernail while adjusting the primary chain on a friends bike. The initial pain was dull, guess I was kind of in shock. We put the finger in ice and went to the hospital. They sent me to a hand clinic where they re-attached the finger. About 6 hours later when all the novocaine wore off the pain was unbelieveable. I was eating codeine like candy for a week. Then the finger got infected. More antibiotics. It finally healed enough that I could go back to work 4 weeks later. Today it gets cold way faster than my other fingers and turns purple and there isnt much feeling at the tip. Speaking of tip, heres one: Keep your damn fingers away from sprockets and chains...............BG

Didn't happen to me, but my fathers friend ran his finger thru a pulley on his dump truck. Cut it clean off. They put it back on with a pin going right thru the middle. A little piece about half an inch was sticking out of the top of his finger. Unfortunately he released the parking brake on his Ford Ranger and because his finger was stuck in the full pointing position the peddle drove the pin down flush. He just passed out in the seat.

Crap, that makes me woozy just reading/thinking about it.

Ya, I got a little dizzy myself. I saw when he hit it with the brake. My dad, being the farmer he was, had a great since of humor. When we help his friend into the house my father got a pair of vise grips and, jokingly, said he'd fix it.

I was working on a Cobra Attack Helicopter, back in the 80's. A Buddy of Mine was working right next to me, repairing a fastener on an engine cowling. Suddenly, He turned to Me, with a funny look on His face. I laughed as He looked really goofy. He held up His hand in front of My face, and His index finger had a #20 drill, 6 inches long run all the way through it. We were about 8 feet above the concrete floor, and I had to grab Him as He buckled at the knees. With one hand keeping Him from falling, I used the other hand to un-plug His air-drill and lowered Him to a sitting position. I got his chuck key, and released the drill from the chuck. The 6 in ch bit was halfway on each side of His index finger, but no blood, it was a tight fit, thru the bone....Our Supervisor saw this and told Me to walk Him to the Nurse's office. About half a mile in 95 degree Texas heat. I walked Him, half carrying Him all the way over there, only to get pressed into further medical service. The Nurse refused to touch it, and ordered Me to untwist the drill, by hand from His finger. I wont go into those details, but when I untwisted the drill from His finger, and the blood started to flow, She took a syringe, and filled it with RUBBING ALCOHOL. :yikes:She pushed the syringe into the bloody hole, and flushed it out with the alcohol, to remove any debris. He was as pale as a sheet.:( So was I. They sent Him into town, to the Company Doctor, and I went back to My work. I need another cuppa coffee.

I nailed 2 of my fingers together with a framing nail gun. I learned to review what is on the other side of the board. That hurt more then when I was shot...the second time.

This thread has certainly become interesting. I'll have to bow to my wife as far as pain goes. After watching my first son as he was born (natural child birth) that looked painful. The phrase "pushing a grapefruit through something the size of an orange" comes to mind. I'll never ask her if "I'm hurting her" ever again. :laugh:

This thread has certainly become interesting. I'll have to bow to my wife as far as pain goes. After watching my first son as he was born (natural child birth) that looked painful. The phrase "pushing a grapefruit through something the size of an orange" comes to mind. I'll never ask her if "I'm hurting her" ever again. :laugh:

No shit....My shop Cat was giving birth a few years ago, and was having problems. My solution. I passed out....:(

Some years ago I cut off my left index finger just behind the fingernail while adjusting the primary chain on a friends bike. The initial pain was dull, guess I was kind of in shock. We put the finger in ice and went to the hospital. They sent me to a hand clinic where they re-attached the finger. About 6 hours later when all the novocaine wore off the pain was unbelieveable. I was eating codeine like candy for a week. Then the finger got infected. More antibiotics. It finally healed enough that I could go back to work 4 weeks later. Today it gets cold way faster than my other fingers and turns purple and there isnt much feeling at the tip. Speaking of tip, heres one: Keep your damn fingers away from sprockets and chains...............BG

I did the same with a tablesaw when I was 18. Had the 2 pins sticking out and everything. Chewed the hell out of the middle and ring finger too, but managed to keep the bones intact on those. Same lack of pain from about 2 pm when it happened til I went into surgery 4 hours later. While I was under they gave me an axillary shunt - (tube run into my armpit that dripped the feel good stuff onto the nerve bundle that ran down the arm. I really had no pain, other than being drugged most the time. They kept me in a 85% hospital room for a week and a half to stimulate capillary flow. I also lost about 20 lbs, and wasn't about about 180lbs when I went in there. In the 17 years since, I've found that 20 lbs. The finger healed bent down @ the last joint due to what the doc said was an extensor tendon that must not have healed right, or stretched too much. He wanted to fix it, I didn't want to deal with another round of physical therapy. I did manage to get feeling back, which surprised the docs. My friends just call me "crooked" most the time.

One more pins in fingers story.
Cutting styrofoam on a table saw (bad idea) cut through (hanging off) 2 fingers length wise, doc sewed em up and stuck stainless pins through them to keep the bones lined up. they stuck 3/8" out of the tips and the back of the second knuckle. I took a day off work, the next week while working on an electrical panel as I pulled my hand out of the panel one of the pins caught on the edge of the box and finally released with a twang. Sweat ran down my back and the pin flushed up on the back of the knuckle but it didn't hurt. I soon learned you could just tap them back into position. When the time came the Doc REALLY did grab a rusty old pair of pliers out a drawer and pulled the pins!
In spite of the doc's comments the finger nails showed up a month or so later and I kept joint motion by using the fingers. The numbness in one finger tip suddenly disappeared one day about two years later. One finger is about 1/2" shorter than it used to be. I rock climb and have just as much power in those fingers as my others.
As for pain; bulging disks, and spastic colon are the worst. I am not planning on having a baby for comparison purposes.

Back