Differences in stators 1977 and 1982

Stators swap, the newer ones (81 up) have mounting holes for the ignition pick ups.

The electronic ignition needs both a stator and rotor made for EI to work.
The stator needing a pick-up like gggGary noted and the rotor needs a magnate to signal it.
You can use a either in points ignition, but you can't use the points ignition stator or rotor for the EI bikes. All that is probably clear as mud. If I'm reading correctly you need another EI stator. gggGary can probably hook you up or a post in the classified will get you one quick.
Those that have gone pma would like to recoup some $$ I'm betting.

Last edited:
Since you have the correct one you could mod the non electronic one OR (and you will have to look to see how hard it would be) move your stator coil over to the electronic frame.
I take it you have tested and you have a bad stator coil and NOT just a bad wire between the coil and the connector? A bad wire is fairly common and an easy fix.

Are the rotors the same? I've just gone to change rotors on one of mine and of the 2 rotors I have one has the screw on the end to remove it the other doesn't but is deeper by about the same depth as the screwed part, they both have slip rings so I assumed they were xs650

cruisingram, What year is the bike you have?
From what I read you have an 82 bike and some parts from a 77 bike.
The 80 up bikes use a TCI or Transistor Controlled Ignition. The TCI uses a set of pickups mounted on the stator. There is a magnet mounted in the rotor to trigger the pickups to signal the TCI when to fire the plugs.
The 70-79 bikes have no provision to mount the TCI pick ups. They also have a differnt wiring on the brushes. The 80 up have no grounded brushes, the 70-79 have a grounded brush. You can rewire the brushes to match your bike but it's better to stay with stock.
I would get an 80 up stator, that way you can easily use the TCI and it will plug straight up with no wiring mods.
jay760, the major difference in the early and late rotor are the magnet. other than that they look the same. If the way one mounts is different than the one on your bike it is not an XS650 rotor.
Leo

Great info- I am not certain the rotor is bad, I am fixing the bike for a friend, and he has told me the stator is bad- but I don't think he has really diagnosed it either- just said that it was not chargring. I will be running this down this week- he has an 82 that WAS cherry before storing in Hawaii under a tarp- a near death sentence for motorcycles in Hawaii. Have bought a parts bike, a 77, a basket case project bike literally in crates. Will go down this road farther with you guys this week!

Back